View Single Post

Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
"A Teardrop To The Sea is the serious lyrical content of ‘you broke my heart,’ and Burning Bridges is just what it says it is.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...707/story.html

Well, if this song is about breaking with the record company (vs the ironic lyrics of the very last song on the album) then Jon must be a really really serious businessman who just cries over some Judases in the industry. He's too old for being that heartbroken. And then why the sudden change with being suddenly happy for being free? On second thoughts, who knows. Maybe he indeed was heartbroken over it.
I don't think he was initially happy to be free at all. The title track really made it clear they were keeping the masters and he wasn't happy about it. Losing his life's work and being told he doesn't own it would absolutely lend to the feelings he's feeling in Teardrop.

If it sheds any light on the matter, the song was originally called "My Worst Enemy" when he wrote it with Billy and then Jon went off on his own to tweak and change it. There's no way he would write a song about Richie called that. I can't see a world where that even would have started.