Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Why didn't Phil play on THINFS?

New Bon Jovi Releases


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Kathleen's Avatar
Kathleen Kathleen is offline
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead
 
Join Date: 05 Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Age: 68
Gender: female
Posts: 16,767
Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
The biggest example of the difference between to the two is Evening With. Al's playing of the riff is way sloppier, a much different feel.
Spot on - I guess I have always been more of a fan of Hugh than Alec. He is (and was) by far the better musician.
__________________

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 AM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Just posting
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
The biggest example of the difference between to the two is Evening With. Al's playing of the riff is way sloppier, a much different feel.
I just listened to it and I don't hear anything wrong with it... It sounds exactly the same with the exception of the acoustic sound...
__________________
World’s Most Knowledgeable Bon Jovi Fan In The Entire Universe!!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 32
Gender: male
Posts: 9,259
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Agree to disagree I guess. To me and others it sounds like he's accentuating different notes and the way Hugh plays it sounds exactly like on the record. Al's way almost sounds like he's not muting some of the notes and they ring longer then they should.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:33 AM
Javier's Avatar
Javier Javier is offline
Senior Member
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: male
Posts: 9,097
Default

There's nothing wrong with it per se, but to me the difference is kind of like the difference when the KOS (Bobby) play the bad name riff. It's almost as if it's a half a second too slow and instead of picking the last C note harder all the notes are picked with the same resonance. It's really not that big a difference but it's just a way to know that he wasn't the one who wrote or recorded the bass part...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 32
Gender: male
Posts: 9,259
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
There's nothing wrong with it per se, but to me the difference is kind of like the difference when the KOS (Bobby) play the bad name riff. It's almost as if it's a half a second too slow and instead of picking the last C note harder all the notes are picked with the same resonance. It's really not that big a difference but it's just a way to know that he wasn't the one who wrote or recorded the bass part...
YEAH that's more exact than the way I was trying to explain it. He's not wrong, hes playing the right notes but to say it sounds exactly like the record it's easy to hear it's not him. He has a bit of a different attack than Hugh, it's a little more staccato and harder pluck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM
rokuli's Avatar
rokuli rokuli is offline
Member
Runaway
 
Join Date: 05 May 2016
Gender: male
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
The biggest example of the difference between to the two is Evening With. Al's playing of the riff is way sloppier, a much different feel.
Interesting you brought this up. I watched the official version of "Evening..." and KTF mustve been overdubbed by Huge. Then again those leaked rehearsals include rather varied bassline for KTF...

But RDKopper what I meant is that Alec never played the track live the way it was recorded.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 AM
JackieBlue JackieBlue is offline
Senior Member
Keep the Faith
 
Join Date: 22 May 2013
Gender: female
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
YEAH that's more exact than the way I was trying to explain it. He's not wrong, hes playing the right notes but to say it sounds exactly like the record it's easy to hear it's not him. He has a bit of a different attack than Hugh, it's a little more staccato and harder pluck.
Isn't that kinda what rokuli said? I don't know much about bass but to me 'a little more staccato and harder pluck' as well as 'a different feel' sound more like stylistic differences than sloppiness. Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 32
Gender: male
Posts: 9,259
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Isn't that kinda what rokuli said? I don't know much about bass but to me 'a little more staccato and harder pluck' as well as 'a different feel' sound more like stylistic differences than sloppiness. Or am I missing something?
I'm in agreement with Rokuli, it's RD's point I don't agree with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 PM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Just posting
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I'm in agreement with Rokuli, it's RD's point I don't agree with.
I don't really have a point!!! I just can't tell the difference, not being a musician... Some of you are saying that Alec is plucking harder but common sense tells me that's because of the bass he's playing during an acoustic set. Now if you guys are hearing different notes, then that's something I can not comment on...
__________________
World’s Most Knowledgeable Bon Jovi Fan In The Entire Universe!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.