View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
It's not a secret that Jon and J. Shanks has been the two driven forces behind Bon Jovi in the studio during the latest albums. Even when Richie publicly was Jons right hand, Shanks has always been very close in the creative process.
I guess it comes down to the fact that Shanks knows what Jon wants, which makes Jon feel comfortable. I'd even go as far as saying that Shanks was the one who planted the seed regarding the Killers, U2 guitar sounds that has become more and more present since HAND. For every album it has become less Richie influenced and more Shanks.

So to repeat myself - Shanks delivers what Jon wants in the studio with ease while Phil X is the perfect guy on the road. Like Rdkopper stated, it's pretty much the same situation as Hugh and Alec, except the fact that Shanks actually tours with the band this time. I'm quite sure it will be like this on possible upcoming albums (unless Richie returns). Shanks will be the guitar player, the producer and the co-writer. Honestly, except for Jon himself Shanks is the one closest to Bon Jovi these days.
This.

Music should be recorded and played live by people who wrote it; hence, Shanks is the guy to play the new songs - in studio and live. If he wasn't a capable guitar player, there may be case, but not here.

Plus, it's not like Phil's involvement in studio would change anything. He already played on a 4 songs on This House and I can't even tell which ones, because they sound the same. And that's exactly how it should be, because Phil is, first and foremost, a session player. He played on albums for pop artists like Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, etc. and did it in a way that matches the music being recorded. So if he was to play on more Bon Jovi songs, he would do the same - play into Jon's vision. So you might as well have Shanks instead, who actually contributed to the songwriting and production.