Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

No Richie on current leg of the tour

Tour Discussion

Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterytrain View Post
I've been puzzling over all of the theories I've seen/discussed/read regarding the Richie situation, and I've come up with an idea to add to the mix. As a big Richie fan, I'd love to be proven wrong about this, but since I have anxiety and emotional codependency issues, myself, I can empathize some, if this scenario has any truth to it.

Basically, I'm wondering if Richie has replaced drinking to cope with stress with fleeing conflict (literally).

The story that made me consider this angle was one I had forgotten: Last year, Richie and Denise Richards were scheduled to present at an awards show. Apparently, they got into an argument, and Richie took off and flew back to L.A., leaving Denise to present the award on her own.

Meanwhile, Richie does his solo tour in Europe, which sold out in pre-sale! He is loved, he is adored. He Tweets enthusiastically after each show. However, the U.S. dates don't fare so well, so he claims illness and cancels most of them, and turns the LA show into a charity show (commendable, of course, but by doing this, he can also take the focus off of himself and what might otherwise be disappointment at not selling to a packed house). Therefore, stress of poor sales averted, even if for only one show.

On Twitter, fans get pissed that he's cancelled so many U.S. shows, and they call him out on it. Eventually, perhaps after being 'attacked' one too many times, Richie sends out a couple of nearly incoherent Tweets. Though I didn't understand quite what he was saying, the tone I got was akin to a cornered, wounded animal, trying to defend itself. However, by the next day, Richie claimed his Twitter account had been hacked, and that we should just ignore the seemingly out-of-character Tweets.

Now, magnify that type of scene, only have Jon as the source of the conflict. Richie gets offended by something, and flees by leaving the tour. Instead of dealing with the conflict, he can hide out for a few weeks, then send a few Tweets to his own Twitter fan base, and then chill and watch his 'Every Road' contest submissions, while, in the very same state of California, his band mates play a show (and just in case they're wondering how he's doing as they prepare to go live, he Tweets he's 'having fun'). No crisis here!

If any of this is true, then it says to me that Richie's coping mechanism is the main problem here: Perhaps he has substituted drinking with running away from stress. Unfortunately, this behavior affects a lot more than the band; it affects his loyal fans, as well. On his part, it points to deeper psychological issues than addiction.
Very well said and in my opinion, spot on.

I just would like to put my two cents worth in...

Your last statement is a light bulb moment, for me, regardless if Richie returns to this tour or not.

I have one or two people in my/our family that cope with stress by doing this very same thing, and one or two that do add alcohol to the mix. Never put 2 and 2 together, especially with one of them, until now. Especially, the stress = flee/flight for many people, whether physically or by using other means, such as alcohol. (excessively)

Richie needs to find a healthy way to deal with this issue, like so many other people do. A positive method vs a negative method, if you will. For example, a lot of people use running and other sports, (other healthier ways), to deal with stress.

Thank you for writing what you wrote, above, for a multitude of reasons.

Richie could use some *true friends* who would help him sort out his demons. All he gets from fans is unconditional adoration. What he needs, is someone that he trusts, that would "get real" with him, treat him like a normal person, so to speak.

In order for that to happen, Richie, has to reach a point where he is open to receiving that input and not taking it as criticism. That is the key, imo.

I always thought a month or so...in rehab was not enough for Richie or for anyone to sort out their issues that led them to drink excessively, anyway.

If Richie is going to succeed at, *anything*, in the future, whether on his own, or with the band, he has to get these psychological issues sorted out, first.

Otherwise, down the road, I feel he is in for a very challenging path, in finding that every road does not lead home to "you" but rather, to ~ "himself", someone he has real issues with, apparently. And, is not yet, willing to face them, instead he is still in the pointing fingers mode.

Even if he goes back on tour, I fear it will just make things worse for him. Anyone that's been touring as long as he has, can put on a great act on stage, but what happens when the show(s) are over (for him)?

It seems that the only person, in his life, at the moment, who is helping to keep R grounded, is Ava. He obviously adores her and does not want to let her down. But, as she grows up, and moves away, more and more, on her own, then what?

I guess, if he found the right woman, he could still have another family, that might help stabilize him? The problem with that, is him finding the "right woman". Someone that could make him face his own demons and support him, give him something to believe in, something to live for, etc.

To fight an addiction, to be comfortable with one's own self, a person needs all the support that they can get. A Rockstar also needs someone to keep them grounded.

Richie does not seem to have that. The other members in the band, do seem to have that. imo, therein lies one of the major differences, between the rest of the band and Richie.

He is not the only person, in history, that has had tremendous talent, but chooses a path of self destruction, as they get older and older, for whatever reason.

It's sad to watch, I love Richie, but that is not what he needs to hear. Unfortunately, at this time, he is not willing to hear anything else.

Again, thank you to ~ Mysterytrain. You have (obviously) given me a lot to think about, both in regards to Richie and in regards to my/our own family.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
Are you forgetting Phil is a session musician? He'll play whatever music style the artist who hires him wants!
You're right, I guess he played with Kelly Clarkson... not a problem work with Bon Jovi.

Well done, little buddy.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaky View Post
Have to say, don't agree with this at all... there is plenty of Richie in that vid. Also, I think they purposefully picked a shot of Phil X with his back to the camera because they are JUST stupid enough to think we wouldn't be able to tell it was him.

I don't think the video would be much different if Richie had been ever-present on this tour...
Yeah I must agree. There is a whole section in the middle that just shows Jon and Richie together and is very prominent.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes View Post
You're right, I guess he played with Kelly Clarkson... not a problem work with Bon Jovi.
He's played on a lot more than Kelly Clarkson. I don't even really like him for some reason, but I won't take away the fact that he's pretty accomplished as a session guy. And let's face it, Kelly Clarkson is more rock and roll than Bon Jovi is these days.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

one theory we haven't explored... he is addicted to playing Candy Crush Saga and can't get past those stupid chocolate blocks...
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaky View Post
Have to say, don't agree with this at all... there is plenty of Richie in that vid. Also, I think they purposefully picked a shot of Phil X with his back to the camera because they are JUST stupid enough to think we wouldn't be able to tell it was him.

I don't think the video would be much different if Richie had been ever-present on this tour...
By putting in the part at the end, where one sees Phil X with his back to the camera, shows that Richie was not willing to *finish* this vid. That *could be* a very telling sign, of sorts.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
JDJovi - Take away What's Left of Me and the album is a shocker.
Sorry cant agree with that at all. Its their most consistant album since These Days - I only dislike Army Of One and Amen. Maybe its my age or Ive come to terms with the fact that theres not another SWW or NJ standard album in them anymore but I really like it. A lot. But thats a discussion for another thread!

As much as I enjoy the album and will be seeing them on 05/07/13 I have said since they announced the album and tour that it is way too soon.

I would like to have seen them back in late 2015. I just think the fans need a break as theres been too much released and touring in the last 7 years but I also feel the band need a break from themselves.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Posting everyday

On a German concert promo magazine there is only a picture of Jon, Dave and Tico printed and it says that Phil X is gonna fill in for the rest of the tour. No idea whether they got more detailed information or just picked up the wide-spread news we already have.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlj View Post

2. Conflict of interests - I'm surprised Jon hasn't let him sing 'Every Road' or a solo track at a Jovi gig - Come On - one song out of 24/25 songs a night - giving him an hand up with his album - He can't sell in his own country so playing a solo track to 15,000 fans a night would lift his head - and I'm sorry but it would n't arm 'wHAT aBOUT nOW' as most fans have already bought it ...... - I'd be mighty pissed if I'd put all my energy into something and then have a friend/band mate VETO putting a track in the set ......
KJ
I'm surprised also. I think it would really boost Richie's ego a bit if he was able to sing one of his own songs. It certainly wouldn't hurt the rest of the setlist and would make Richie feel good. Can't come up with any good reason why he shouldn't be able to sing one song. And don't tell me Jon wants to separate the band album from the solo album, letting him sing one song wouldn't kill him.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
On a German concert promo magazine there is only a picture of Jon, Dave and Tico printed and it says that Phil X is gonna fill in for the rest of the tour. No idea whether they got more detailed information or just picked up the wide-spread news we already have.
wow.. if this is true than that's it. We won't see him again on this tour. Meaning I won't bother buying a ticket for the concert in Lisbon. **** it. I don't care whose fault it is that Richie has left the tour. All I know is that I don't wanna see Bon Jovi in crutches. I'll only pay to see Jon, Richie, David and Tico.

Anyways, where did you see this ? can you scan it and post it here ?

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011