Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Phil X dislike(d) Bon Jovi?

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 AM
These Days

Default Phil X dislike(d) Bon Jovi?

A friend of mine told me on Twitter that Phil X used to used to laugh and make fun of Bon Jovi before he played with them on the Live 2011 Tour. He also told me that in several guitar forums they where shocked to see that Phil would play with the band because of this.

On this video he showed me, Phil says at the beginning "It was played by Richie Sambora... you know how I feel about that, but we won't get into it", among other things.

Does anyone have an interview where he talks bad about Bon Jovi? Or Richie? Or what's the story about this? I just can't understand why somebody would make fun of a band and then would play for them.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Dry County

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezearis View Post
On this video he showed me, Phil says at the beginning "It was played by Richie Sambora... you know how I feel about that, but we won't get into it", among other things.
I think he hates the guitars being signed. However I remember us discussing his lack of love for the band two years ago.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
It's my post

When he says, "you know how I feel about that," I always associated it with where he'd signed the guitar - on the body in full view. I don't think he has anything personal against Richie.

With regards to his opinions on Bon Jovi, however, I think there were some links or quotes thrown around that back up the idea that he thinks they're pish.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Yeah, it's definitely that he hates guitars being signed.

Regardless of his opinions of the band, I'm sure he's not hating the paycheck.
June 29th, 2011: Dublin, Ireland
June 30th, 2011: Dublin Ireland
November 13th, 2012: Los Angeles, California (Richie solo)
April 19th, 2013: Los Angeles, California (With Phil X)
April 23rd, 2013: Glendale, Arizona (With Phil X)
Old 04-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Gibson 2002 Flying V PART 2 00745

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nC6wDeC_tPE

The video's set to private, but in that second part of the video Phil kept referring to the guitar once belonging to Richie SamBORING!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM
These Days

Thank you all for your answers, didn't knew he hated the guitars being signed. Interesting fact and explains a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumen View Post
Gibson 2002 Flying V PART 2 00745

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nC6wDeC_tPE

The video's set to private, but in that second part of the video Phil kept referring to the guitar once belonging to Richie SamBORING!
That's one of the things my friend said, he might have setted it into private after he joined Bon Jovi.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM
These Days

If he's a metal-head, it makes sense for him to hate Bon Jovi, it's the cool thing to do. But I'm sure he loves money more, considering he has played with Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson, according to Wiki.

That video is really entertaining though, would love to see part 2.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Born to be my Baby

What a sell-out... But he fits well with Jon..They both care about the $$$.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Jovi Freak

I'm sure he enjoys playing the classics, and you can certainly see that from the videos when he gets to shred and let loose a bit on the earlier stuff (LYHOM, KTF, BAd Mx etc)

However, I'm pretty sure that someone with his shredding capabilities and hard rock background that standing there strumming chords to something like 'Because We Can' or 'What about now' he must be quietly thinking ''WTF is this shit??'', as it's a world away from what he must listen to.
But he's there to do a job, and pick up the paycheck. I've worked in jobs before that I have no interest or passion for the product whatsoever, but as I have experience in that field and am getting paid, I tend to shut up and just do the job.

I like Phil X, and like the way he has conducted himself on his stints with Bon Jovi. Even if a lot of the newer Jovi stuff is a world away from what he usually plays and so is actually beneath him, I like to think that it is general love of playing live music and jamming in general (along with the huge paycheck of course) that he loves.

Andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine
Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM
This Post Feels Right

He's not a metalhead. He's played a lot of hard rock. If you watch his Fretted Americana videos it's a pretty varied selection.

Whoever said any video where he mentions the band in a negative light was switched to private in 2011 was dead on. I always got the impression the band wasn't his cup of tea. I know he mentioned the phrase "Don't bore us, get to the chorus" when talking about the band. Kind of funny, I wish they had longer verses.