Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

27th March 2017 - Xcel Energy Center, St Paul Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 02:51 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky0003 View Post
I was at the St Paul show. I thought it was fantastic!

The last show I saw was in Lincoln, NE in October 2013. Jon was definitely exhausted and struggling in his so called "auto pilot" mode. Last Monday night he had great energy and definitely seemed like he enjoyed performing. My seats at both shows were third row.

I am not a "die hard" who has been EXTREMELY blessed to have seen TONS of shows because I was busy raising kids during the 90's and 00's. I am so grateful that BJ is still touring so I may enjoy them now. I can understand how someone who has been to many, many shows would want to hear the rarities, and I do too, but for me just seeing Jon performing once again is all I need. No complaints from me!!

The set list was perfect for me also. Since this was my 5th show (1 in 2005 and 3 in 2013) I have heard the hits and didn't mind the new songs at all. I loved hearing them as they mean BJ is still growing and evolving. Being the same age as Jon, I can appreciate that he wants to move on and create new music - not just relive only the past.

Also being the same age as Jon, I am awed by his ability to perform with so much energy and passion. I thought he would always be at his white mic, but he wasn't. He didn't run back and forth from one side of the stage to the other like he did in the 80's, which would just be silly, but he did move around a lot in the center of the stage and went to the sides and back. The stage is not big enough for running anyway.

I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and agree that he sounds so much better in person than in the videos. His singing did not always look effortless on Monday but I appreciate how hard he was trying. It wasn't 1990 - 1995 great - that's unrealistic considering how much he's used and abused his voice over the years - so I'm not complaining. He was so awesome and pushed himself so much back then that it was inevitable he could not sustain that level forever. I think the main reason he overused his voice (80's & 90's) is because he always gave 150% because he just can't help it. He didn't think about the consequences later on. Like me going to a concert that's hurting my ears and not worrying about the damage occurring until it's comes on when I'm older.

The crowd was really engaged the whole concert. Even during the new songs. I was down front, though, so it may have been different in the nosebleeds. I couldn't tell.

I love the band, Jon and the music so much. How lucky we are that they/he are still able and willing to tour?! No one will ever hear me complain about a set list because I'm just so happy to still have the opportunity to see them. I know I'm probably unusual on this board but as more than just a "casual" but not a "diehard" I was very, very happy with the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great review! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:56 AM
Jovi Fan

To add to my post just above, the only negative I felt during the show was John Shanks. I was in front of him and felt very uncomfortable looking at him. I dislike saying something negative, but he gave me a very uneasy feeling. I regret saying he seemed sleazy to me. The moves he made and the looks he gave. It's hard to describe but I avoided looking at him all because of this.

He kept throwing a bunch of picks our way which seemed to be a way of getting attention. I could not have cared less.

Now Jon can shake his ass and be cute about it. Shanks just creeped me out just playing his guitar. Maybe it was just me....

Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 AM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Great review! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome!

I have so many observations! When Jon first took the stage before they began "This House Is Not For Sale" and the lights were still off, he was behind the see through curtain making silly poses and faces! He seemed so happy!

During the concert, a few things went wrong and he just had a goofy look on his face and laughed. He was having a good time with Tico.

He needs to double tie his shoe laces! I saw him tying them three times. He even said in the microphone he was having trouble with them. He was very engaged with the people down front with smiles and nods, even talking to them between songs. Someone had paper plates they were writing messages on for him. He acknowledged the signs and signed the last one during the bows. He wrote something on one side and signed his name on the other.

He was given two red roses. When he kissed them, one fell on the stage so he only had the stem.

When they began BOB for the encore, I believe it was Phil who strummed the first note and it was totally off! Jon looked so surprised, so much so that I thought something had blown up.

Anyway, I love watching what he does when the lights are off. He definitely seemed very playful. When I last saw him that close in October 2013 and the lights were off between the songs, he looked very worn out - like he wasn't going to make it through to the end.

In 2013 he was spitting so much that the stage had to be slippery. Probably had phlegm problems. I'd never seen so much body fluid (of course sweat also) come from a performer. This time there were a few spits. Yes, I am fascinated by these things! I've only been to 5 BJ concerts - and 2 up close.

Jon mentioned that his Uncle Bob was in the audience. He said to say hi to Uncle Bob and that he and Jon's cousins who live in the area had never seen him before. (Hard to believe!). He said they were probably thinking, "what the shit"!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:07 AM
Runaway

Smile

Thanks for posting that review! I enjoyed the details

It's nice to be able to follow this tour on here
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
That was pretty awesome! You can tell Jon felt pretty vocally confident by the way he sang Blood on Blood and the line in Prayer before the solo wasn't the playbacked one he's been using on and off since 2013....
I think it was still playback in Prayer. He might have started singing the line live, but the vocal was still going when Jons mouth was closed! lol

Its just pleasing to hear the little things improving, like the woah-oh-ohs at the end of prayer and having a little bit of confidence to walk around the stage in LYHOM.

Millenium Stadium, Cardiff - June 2001
Hyde Park, London - June 2003
Milton Keynes Bowl (x2) - June 2006
O2 - June 2007
Twickenham Stadium, London (x2) - June 2008
O2 - 19th, 20th, 26th June 2010
RDS, DUBLIN - 29 JUNE 2011
RDS, DUBLIN - 30 JUNE 2011
Cardiff City Stadium - June 2013
London Palladium - October 2016
Wembley Stadium - June 2019
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy2002 View Post
I think it was still playback in Prayer. He might have started singing the line live, but the vocal was still going when Jons mouth was closed! lol

Its just pleasing to hear the little things improving, like the woah-oh-ohs at the end of prayer and having a little bit of confidence to walk around the stage in LYHOM.
Yes, it was still the playback line. But, as you both said, otherwise great performance for today's standards!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Dry County

Quote:
To add to my post just above, the only negative I felt during the show was John Shanks. I was in front of him and felt very uncomfortable looking at him. I dislike saying something negative, but he gave me a very uneasy feeling. I regret saying he seemed sleazy to me. The moves he made and the looks he gave. It's hard to describe but I avoided looking at him all because of this.

He kept throwing a bunch of picks our way which seemed to be a way of getting attention. I could not have cared less.

Now Jon can shake his ass and be cute about it. Shanks just creeped me out just playing his guitar. Maybe it was just me....

I can totally see where you're coming from. He does seem a bit sleazy and unappealing...
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Dry County

Quote:
In 2013 he was spitting so much that the stage had to be slippery. Probably had phlegm problems. I'd never seen so much body fluid (of course sweat also) come from a performer. This time there were a few spits. Yes, I am fascinated by these things! I've only been to 5 BJ concerts - and 2 up close.
That fits perfectly with my observations that he sounds like he just has too much spit in his mouth while singing. Don't know what's caused it, but glad it's gone for the most part...
Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
and the line in Prayer before the solo wasn't the playbacked one he's been using on and off since 2013....

It definitely was playback