Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Bon Jovi to crash a college graduation contest

Tour Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Livin' on a Post

Default Bon Jovi to crash a college graduation contest

Just saw this on GMA this morning, its interesting, a couple of weeks ago I started a thread about the song Reunion being a possible single, and some here thought it would not relate to today's generation, I think this may prove my point a little, its not about Bon Jovi the band or popularity with kids today, its about the song, and the meaning, its a positive song that can give hope to this generation to make there own "revolution" to make a difference. God knows now we can use some of this in today's world! https://gma.yahoo.com/jon-bon-jovi-a...ews-music.html

Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Jovi Freak

Assuming the contest is successful, I suspect it would be the "I had a celebrity at my grad ceremony" factor more than anyone caring about the song or Bon Jovi in particular.

Dont' get me wrong, I would love it if Bon Jovi were able to have another hit single... but realistically, that won't happen again in their careers. They're not "that sort of band" anymore.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer View Post
Assuming the contest is successful, I suspect it would be the "I had a celebrity at my grad ceremony" factor more than anyone caring about the song or Bon Jovi in particular.

Dont' get me wrong, I would love it if Bon Jovi were able to have another hit single... but realistically, that won't happen again in their careers. They're not "that sort of band" anymore.
He did this when I graduated Monmouth University in 2001. Really wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Especially not with that song...
Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Livin' on a Post

IDK call me naive or even dumb, but could someone explain to me why doesn't anyone find this song at least a little inspiring? I'm not saying its the greatest Bon Jovi song ever, but I really love the lyrics, I don't see why at least the lyrical content couldn't inspire today's graduates, and they don't have to be Bon Jovi fans to appreciate this. I'll bet whichever college wins, the graduates are gonna have a great time at graduation!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
They're not "that sort of band" anymore.
People said the same before Always, before It's My Life, and before Who Says You Can't Go Home. I'm not saying Reunion is the next big thing. I'm just saying don't write this band off from ever having another hit. Don't forget Cher had a hit single, Believe, like 40 years into her career.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
People said the same before Always, before It's My Life, and before Who Says You Can't Go Home. I'm not saying Reunion is the next big thing. I'm just saying don't write this band off from ever having another hit. Don't forget Cher had a hit single, Believe, like 40 years into her career.
I suppose it's because Rock bands that the members are all in their 50's and 60's that have hit singles are so few and basically non existent that it's an easy assumption to make. It would be great if they had another hit as big as IML or even Who Says or HAND, but realistically I just don't see it happening....
Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
IDK maybe your right about Reunion might not be the next big thing, but its just something about this song that I think it can happen, especially the timing of the release, right before graduations start, but who knows, I don't a have a crystal ball in front of me to tell the future, but you are right about the other No.1 hits the band had since after NJ in 89, everyone thought the band was done with No.1 songs before Always.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
I suppose it's because Rock bands that the members are all in their 50's and 60's that have hit singles are so few and basically non existent that it's an easy assumption to make. It would be great if they had another hit as big as IML or even Who Says or HAND, but realistically I just don't see it happening....
This is my thinking also. But I would be absolutely delighted to be wrong.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...
Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa3 View Post
Just saw this on GMA this morning, its interesting, a couple of weeks ago I started a thread about the song Reunion being a possible single, and some here thought it would not relate to today's generation, I think this may prove my point a little, its not about Bon Jovi the band or popularity with kids today, its about the song, and the meaning, its a positive song that can give hope to this generation to make there own "revolution" to make a difference. God knows now we can use some of this in today's world! https://gma.yahoo.com/jon-bon-jovi-a...ews-music.html

I totally agree about the song! Plus he knows the graduates might not be into him like his older fans are or even know of BJ at all, but he's still going for it! Bless him for that.

Plus it's relevant to him with two of his kids graduating from college now. I'm sure he wouldn't speak or sing at their graduations because it's all about them, not him. This is a great way for him to celebrate his kids graduating. Believe me, I'll be happy when my last two kids have finally graduated. It's not easy to get that degree! No matter who you are or who your dad is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk