Problems with the stage setup nixes show after July 23 Conquest game
|Bon Jovi concert canceled at Pepsi
Bye-bye, Bon Jovi.
The Albany Conquest of arenafootball2 announced Friday the team has canceled the postgame concert by the famous New Jersey rock band scheduled for July 23 at Pepsi Arena.
Conquest general manager Robert Zeig said the team couldn't meet Bon Jovi's requirements for an elaborate stage.
"We couldn't put on a professional football game and a full-blown rock concert the way Bon Jovi wanted to do it," Zeig said.
"It was physically impossible to set it up in enough time."
Zeig said the plan was for Bon Jovi to perform about 20 minutes after the game against the Manchester Wolves ended at approximately 10 p.m.
Zeig said the show would have lasted at least an hour. But the Conquest couldn't provide Bon Jovi with the stage and lighting the band wanted, Zeig said.
"Simon and Garfunkel were here (Thursday) with a stage that took three days to do the loading," he said. "Bon Jovi is a top act, and what they were looking for was more complicated than Simon and Garfunkel."
Fans seeking a refund are asked to return their unused ticket to the point of purchase. Zeig said he was uncertain how many tickets had been sold.
Zeig said the Conquest is trying to find a "major talent" to replace Bon Jovi as the postgame act.
Jon Bon Jovi, the band's frontman, is owner of the Arena Football League's Philadelphia Soul.
Related URL: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=256627&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=6/12/2004