View Single Post

Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suojelusperkele View Post
First of all how do you know that they are solo songs and not band songs, it says nothing about that anywhere in the box? Richie has a co-writing credit on Someday Just Might Be Tonight so how can it be a solo song? And considering what a crap song I Get A Rush is and how bad Jon's vocals are, I can't believe it's from '96 - that was the time when he could still write songs and sing clearly.

And I will strictly disagree about Love Ain't Nothing But A Four Letter Word. Listen to the song carefully, it's very obvious that the first one is These Days and the second Crush, I don't know how anyone could think differently about that. There's the same sound than in Wedding Day in the chorus, I think it's keyboards or something, the soft drumming is similar to These Days era, Jon's lyrics are VERY These Days style, and the song sounds melancholy as in the These Days style. What other These Days song than Damned has horns? With the other later version, Jon's bad vocals, sloppy production sound and the fact that they completely watered down Jon's great lyrics and the whole song with the horns, the female singers and making it sound happier reveal that it's a Crush song. Basically they destroyed the song, and that alone tells that it's from the Crush sessions.

How is Prostitute an "early early demo" for These Days, I've never heard about this?
I'll go one by one:

1) I never said "Someday just might be tonight" was a solo song. Any song with Richie as a co-writer is obviously a band track. That's not to say anything without him isn't, but you know what I mean. The answer lies in the Sex Sells demos. A bunch of songs from the box set were intended for Jon's proposed third solo album. You can tell what richie does/does not play on. The lack of his playing/style and harmonies are a good indicator. Bobbys and richies guitar style are pretty easy to tell apart. Jon had his solo demos put out as band Crush b-sides, the idea of him doing so for the box set isn't that far-fetched.

2) "I thank you" also had horns. Listen to the album and all it's b-sides. Some of the song have a very bar band, Southside Johnny feel. How many Crush songs had ANY horn/brass arrangements? Crush wasn't a very bar band album, it's stripped of just about any bluesy elements, whereas TD was PACKED with them. That and so many songs were written for Crush, why would they dig up a 5 year old demo for inclusion? They had so much material to choose from, I don't think they'd use old stuff whose style doesn't really fit with the current project. and thinking that "Because they destroyed the song, therefore it's from Crush because I don't like that period" is kinda biased

EDIT: Come to think of it, 634-5789 also had horns

3) Prostitute was an early demo because you can tell from the videos that Obie made for AmericanXS, showing really old footage. You can see them recording it, it came from the same sessions that the original Bitter Wine was. You can clearly see due to their hair that it was soon after the KTF tour.

This is all my opinion. I obviously think WAY too far into things.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 05-13-2007 at 12:06 AM..