View Single Post

Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Tokyo Road

It definetly is an opinion divider, that's for sure

Only Lonely – Sticking with the theme of the difficulties of love, this song’s intro gives the impression that its going to be very synth driven, but it’s only a couple of seconds before the power chords kick in alongside the synths, and not much longer before the synths are relegated to their normal supporting role. The pace of this song is slower, but still carried by a pounding guitar/drum/bass combination; it could be described as a heavy rock ballad. There are so many great moments in this song: the moment that the pulsing rhythm of the guitar bass and drums kick in simultaneously; the fantastic bridge with the return to prevalence of the synths and the drum rolls leading into the guitar solo; the prechorus after the solo with the cut out and quick rebuilding of the drums with Jon’s emotive “cutting wounds that run SO!” over the top, and so on. The lyrics are even stronger than on the last song; and carry on the bomb theme: “I’ve got this timebomb ticking in my head / This time I think she’s gonna blow”. The emotion of an endless cycle of heartache building up inside the narrator is fantastically communicated through the music building from synthesized intro to the dangerous sounding bridge, great lyrics and the heart that Jon pours into it. Possibly the best song on the album, and in the hands of a better producer might have been even stronger.

4+/5

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!