View Single Post

Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Tokyo Road

Always Run To You – Opening differently from most of the other songs, with a drum solo and a riff which doesn’t so much kick in as slide in; this is another dramatic heavy rock song. Probably the most interesting thing about this song is the synths: building up behind the prechorus, before breaking down into a simple pattern for the chorus; they are subtle yet really add to the intensity. Also noticeable are the heavy bass and loud drumming. The guitar, in comparison, is relatively restrained here, for the most part just playing repeating riffs; although the bridge solo is particularly effective, and the outro solo closes the song well. There are some reasonably decent lyrics here too; for example the opening (“the clock strikes ten / out on the streets again”) which contribute to the overall mood of the song; and another gun reference (“and when I give her the gun / you know she feels so right”), as well as what appears to be a drug reference (“we’ve done more white lines / than you’ll know”), and a reference to being in trouble with the law (“I stand accused”) ; all of which effectively builds up imagery of living on the streets; always in trouble with someone, be it the law or a rival gang member, and only having one person to run to. The chorus is particularly distinctive: it is sung in a very high register, which, while providing an instant hook, is a bit overbearing. Overall, this is an effective song: solid, but going by without making a huge impact; the medium pace of it sometimes failing to keep the attention.

3/5

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!