View Single Post

Old 03-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
The only Survivor I've heard is Eye Of The Tiger, what else would you recommend?
Burning Heart (I'm pretty sure you know that one as well - from Rocky IV)
Popular Girl
Broken Promises
Burning Bridges
Desperate Dreams
American Heartbeat

There are more good songs, but these have a feeling similiar to that album, even though the guitar is WAY tamer. If you can't find 'em anywhere, drop me a PM.

Quote:
I guess I don't see maturity in songwriting as meaning it needs to be about weighty themes ... I'm guessing you tend to think that way, seeing as you list Runaway and Hardest Part Is The Night. In my opinion, a love song can have mature lyrics if they are developed and considered enough ... something like, for example ...

It was all so simple when
You were to be queen and I'd be your king
I guess those dreams got lost
Cause baby you're still you and I'm still me
Now letting go
It's always the hardest part to fight
When we both know
We're just two more victims of the night

... is pretty mature I reckon.
There are definitely songs about love that I think are mature, it's not because of that... it's just that with such a well-covered topic, it's easy to fall into the "meh, heard it all before" category. That's also why I listed the otherwise not THAT subtle Hardest Part Is The Night among the better ones.

Songs about love I like lyrically:

The Offspring - Denial, Revisited
Most of the Stones ballads
Skid Row - I Remember You
Guns & Roses - Don't Cry

And that being said, I still don't know. To me these lyrics are kinda... naive I guess? Now I know, they reek of desilusion and all, but isn't this kind of desilusion what most people face before they hit 17? It is something people can relate to, sure, but it's hardly original or cleverly put. Maybe I should add that I find most of BJ lyrics to be cheesy (no, I don't hate the band), especially some of the TD lyrics, because they just seem... melodramatic I guess? These make me go "Man, those metaphors sure are a bit pompous and cheesy, eh? King and queen?"

But I do agree that these lyrics are definitely better than, say, Get Ready. But they're on par with Shot Through The Heart.