View Single Post

Old 04-19-2014, 02:55 PM
The Distance

I've been going through and listening to some older stuff lately (trying to find a song for another member) and it really just hit me.

Jon's signature raspy voice was all that was needed. (Not being a vocalist, I think he actually sang from his throat and not his core which is probably the worst way to sing. He probably sings more correct now then he did then)

We blame the production and writing and in some ways it could be better but for other songs, I think some of it is better.

Try to vision this. Jon singing Pictures Of You like he did I'll Be There For You during the late 80's. No Matter How I Try, No Matter What I Do, I'l Still Seeing Pictures Of You with that raspy slowed down voice. Maybe a quick breath in-between.... It would be transformed into a totally different song. Or do the same with Superman Tonight.

It's My Life ruined this band for 14 years. It's the one song where production and not vocals were able to carry it. They have been trying to repeat that magic ever since.

On the opposite end of it all, if you listen to most of those 80s bands today, they all sound much worse then Bon Jovi does. Shitty low budget production, bad writing, and unnoticeable vocals.