View Single Post

Old 02-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Alec was basically responsible for putting the band together I overestimate a bit but he was the one who brought Tico and Richie in. He was a star, actually a local star and had experience. I read somewhere that Jon was pissed with musicians of his age who didn't take it seriously or didn't know if they wanted to commit to a band full time.
Alec was and had everything. I don't know the deal between him and the band at the beginning of SWW sessions. Hugh stated in a recent interview that there really were all six of them in Vancouver. Alec had his room above Hugh who couldn't sleep because Alec wasn't playing bass in the night learning new lines that Hugh had created.
Maybe he was just the performer, a cover band performer who just wasn't able to come up with his own bass lines and was used to play someone else's ones. However, he was part of the image of the band, he was an integral part of what the public picture of the band was and therefore there was no reason to get rid of him. Until there was one. The times had changed before his departure and he was obviously stuck in the 80s in terms of lifestyle and music in general. If you count his injury, getting older (he was the oldest one), maybe it just wasn't for him anymore.

I got into the band six years after his departure but I adore his times in the band, I'm an 80s man and you know, even he played only in Prayer in HOF performance and he needs a walking stick nowadays, his signature moves, posture.. it was all there. I really really wished they had played one song, Wanted for example, as the original five-piece band. There still is some magic to it.
Couldn't agree with you more!