Thread: Anything Thread
View Single Post

Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokenrola View Post
And what is your reason to call BJ cover band today? Because of Jons voice or because Richie is not there?
An insult is to call great band a cover band without any evidence. We all know what is the cover band and BJ arent that for sure.
Actually both reasons to some extent. What made Bon Jovi songs and live shows special was the way Jon carried a song (in terms of phrasing, performance etc.), his voice blending together with Richie's and the way Richie's guitar playing defined a certain song.
That's currently all not really there, though I think Jon's at least getting his frontman attitude back and that could be a lot.
And I don't say they're a cover band, I said that some of their performances sound like a cover band in recent years. Simply because their replacement guitarists aren't fitting to the style that made their songs. Richie's gone and most likely won't come back, so it's time to move on, I'm all for that.
Phil may be good on some of the older songs which require fast, shredding solos, but his style simply doesn't fit the ballad/more bluesy songs like I'll Be There For You, Bed of Roses, Make A Memory because he simply comes from a totally different background.
But the main problem for me is Shanks. His playing is just lazy in many parts and I think he actually is capable of more.
I've said this before: in 2015, as bad as those shows may have been in other aspects, the chemistry between Phil and Matt O'Ree was great on stage. Matt's got that bluesy approach that melted well with Phil's playing, they created an energy on stage and I think with this combination, the band could sound much better today. A shame that they didn't stick to this combo.
Or one of the guitarists Jon currently uses on his solo acoustic concerts for Runaway tours. The playing is spot on and at least one of these voices harmonize very nicely with Jon's. Phil, Dave and Everett may be good vocalists on their own, but their voices don't blend with Jon's.