Thread: Anything Thread
View Single Post

Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
In These Days, is it:

"Everybody's got their cross to bare, these days" like in "everybody's got to show their faith and belief"

or is it
"Everybody's got their cross to bear, these days" like in "everybody's got their burden to carry"?

I don't have the booklet at hand and so many lyric sites state one or the other and for me, it'd change the meaning of this part quite a bit.
My first thought was "cross to bear" because that's the cliche and would be how most people would understand it. It also fits the theme of the song better, imo. The characters in the verses are all struggling in some way, and each has his or her own baggage (or burden). The chorus is all about how difficult life is, how there aren't any short cuts, nobody's going to do it for you, and you can't blame others for your problems because, like the man on the corner and Jimmy Shoes, everybody has their own stuff to deal with. So I'd go with "cross to bear."

"Cross to bare" is an interesting play on words; but I think that concept would go better with "you gotta stand up for what you believe", "we weren't born to follow", and those kinds of messages.