Thread: Anything Thread
View Single Post

Old 10-28-2020, 03:44 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
It looks like the announcement was that there's a new fan club, you can join it before it's publicly announced. The "something big" was a new fanclub run by the family again.
This is such a missed opportunity. Since ownership is changing hands and they're rebranding anyway, this would've been an ideal time to put some substance behind Jon's hype about the whole "renewed band spirit" that he's been trying to sell since THINFS came out. IF they had placed more focus on the band as a separate entity from Jon - starting with the name.

The website could've been reformatted to make the band and band news the central focus. It would be so cool to see subsections for each of the band members, with bios and updates on activities that each is involved with outside of the band, like Jon's solo projects, Runaway Tours, David's plays, The Drills, Tico's artwork, Shanks and Everett's outside activities, etc. If it were truly a fan club for the band, they might offer early access and maybe even a nominal discount for tickets and merch associated with their independent projects. Jon's always boasted about how he encourages the band to get involved in outside work while they're on hiatus because it makes them a stronger unit when they get back together. This would have been a great platform to do more than pay lip service to the idea that they're a band who supports one another.

It's no secret that I haven't put much stock in Jon's yammering about them being a "real band" and "tighter than ever" and how grateful he is for the way everybody "stepped up" after Richie left. Something like this could've gone a long way towards changing my mind, or even proving to me that I was wrong; but instead it seems like the "something big" is just another shrine to Jon and a marketplace for merch.

If I still had any lingering doubts about it, this pretty much just swept them away. I think it's safe to say that Bon Jovi, as a band, has left the building.