Thread: Anything Thread
View Single Post

Old 10-01-2022, 07:42 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
I agree. I like "I Am", but my first reaction when I heard the snippet back in 2005 was "this sounds like Arvl Lavigne". Nothing is a much more powerful song, it's more Bon Jovi, and Jon sings very passionately.
The whole album was overloaded with them chasing trends and fashions at the time. Stuff like Complicated was mid-2000's rock sound by numbers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Nothing's chorus sounds a lot like I Wanna Be Loved's, and I Am is one of their best post 2k songs period.
Agreed. Not sure why one would take the piss on I Am just because they liked Nothing. There's plenty of songs that could've been left out in favour of the latter. I really don't get why stuff like Wildflower and Last Cigarette was put on there and someone thought "oh that's much better than the album version we pulled last year".
Nothing tends to get the Cadillac Man-treatment from time to time. Or the outtake phenomenon if you will. It's a song not on the album, so it's something rare and people tend to make these bigger than they are. I've read comments on here how Cadillac Man would've been the massive hit single had it been on NJ. Or how Ain't Done Yet is the big classic Bon Jovi song that's much better than all of the last album.
I'm sure Nothing would've gotten a decent amount of radio airplay but that's where it would've ended as well. In fact, choosing HAND with its iconic smirk and Who Says as singles was the best they could've squeezed out of the album in terms of promotion at the time. There's always the tracks we as fans like more and I personally love Dirty Little Secret, but I don't imagine it would've made a big dent in the charts. Nothing might've achieved something on the level of Everyday, but not really much more.