Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Anything Thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 05:18 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Man. How damn good is Destination Anywhere....
Old 06-24-2022, 05:22 PM
Something for the Posts

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
It's a really overlooked album. When it's good it's great. I could live without Midnight In Chelsea, but on the whole it's a strong record. I think it is kinda of it's time though hasn't quite aged too well, production wise. It's a very late 90s sound...
Old 06-24-2022, 06:15 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
It's a really overlooked album. When it's good it's great. I could live without Midnight In Chelsea, but on the whole it's a strong record. I think it is kinda of it's time though hasn't quite aged too well, production wise. It's a very late 90s sound...
That's what makes it so perfect for me 'cause it really lets me dive into my childhood when I discovered music and the vibe of that time.
It's a perfect album for the fall in my opinion or for long car rides in the night
Old 06-24-2022, 06:23 PM
These Days

Quote:
It's fantastic. Arguably the second best album from the entire BJ/JBJ/RS collection.

I'll add that Ugly is one of the most underrated songs in the catalogue. It's such a cool song with beautiful lyrics.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 06-24-2022, 07:08 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
That's what makes it so perfect for me 'cause it really lets me dive into my childhood when I discovered music and the vibe of that time.
It's a perfect album for the fall in my opinion or for long car rides in the night
It's true, it does transport me back to that time instantly too!
Old 06-24-2022, 07:53 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
I think that distinct late 90s sound is part of what makes the album so great for me - it just fits and works really well as a package. I also just really like that late 90s sound in general and, kinda similarly to what bonjovi90 said, there's an element of early childhood nostalgia in that for me too.

I love how atmospheric and picturesque the album is - songs like Midnight In Chelsea automatically make entire movie scenes play out in my head.

Definitely a very underrated album!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:25 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
I think it is kinda of it's time though hasn't quite aged too well, production wise. It's a very late 90s sound...
It's not against you since all of us use that term from time to time.
So generally speaking:
What does that even mean?
Whats makes an album or a song age well? Doesn't every release somehow have the distinct sound of its time?

Did songs like Living On A Prayer, Billy Jean, One, Radio GaGa, Summer Of 69, Start Me Up etc. really age well or is it just because those were massive hits?

What I like about old records is that they have the sound of its time. So having that isn't a bad thing at all. Actually it's quite natural to me.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:16 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

Quote:
Very very very good. It's an album I don't listen too for ages and then go back to it and have it on repeat for a bit.

'It's Just Me' never done nothing for me until about 12-18 months ago and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 06-26-2022, 11:22 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
So generally speaking:
Whats makes an album or a song age well? Doesn't every release somehow have the distinct sound of its time?

Did songs like Living On A Prayer, Billy Jean, One, Radio GaGa, Summer Of 69, Start Me Up etc. really age well or is it just because those were massive hits?

What I like about old records is that they have the sound of its time. So having that isn't a bad thing at all. Actually it's quite natural to me.
I kinda get it. It's production and stylistic choices. Certain songs from DA have such a....mid to late 90's Brit Pop sound. You hear Oasis all over Janie. To me it doesn't make it good or bad but sometimes especially with Jon when he tries too hard to make a pastiche of a popular sound or production style it takes the timeless feel out of it.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:13 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
So generally speaking:

What Cap said basically. It was so influenced by the other bands that were around at that time, particularly in England, it's hard to not hear it. It does give the album a certain charm to be honest.

Quote:
You're not wrong. Those songs have transcended their time period because they are so huge and have been played so much throughout the years.

Bear in mind that I was specifically talking about the production though, not the songs themselves. Slippery is definitely a product of the 80s for instance. But to me albums like New Jersey and These Days could have been released at any time. I think if they were released as new albums this year they would still sound fresh and exciting (with a few exceptions....99 In The Shade, Something For The Pain, etc). It's all about drums sounds, guitar sounds, the way that the vocals are sung that can really put a song or album into a specific era for me. Out of the songs that you mentioned Radio GaGa is a prime example of that.

Quote:
No, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad thing at all.