Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Anything Thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-01-2022, 09:44 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
The whole album was overloaded with them chasing trends and fashions at the time. Stuff like Complicated was mid-2000's rock sound by numbers as well.
Agreed. At that time there was a girl, named Ashlee Simpson, and she had an album of 2004 with some hit singles. I think it was also produced by Shanks, and the album sounded very similar to the Have A Nice Day album. They basically used the same style of production.

Quote:
Agreed. Not sure why one would take the piss on I Am just because they liked Nothing. There's plenty of songs that could've been left out in favour of the latter. I really don't get why stuff like Wildflower and Last Cigarette was put on there and someone thought "oh that's much better than the album version we pulled last year".
I like I Am and never understood that about... we're going to remove Nothing because it's similar to I Am - I Want To Be loved... however we have a few songs on the album that are repetitive... Last Cigarrete, Complicated, Story Of My Life ... this last one is the only worthwhile of the three.

Quote:
Nothing tends to get the Cadillac Man-treatment from time to time. Or the outtake phenomenon if you will. It's a song not on the album, so it's something rare and people tend to make these bigger than they are.
Maybe, but it's something that doesn't happen to me with Mona Lisa, for example, I don't give a shit about that cheesy pop song. As if it never gets to see the light. I don't mind. However, look, we have the leaked Nothing song, and I'm still not satisfied with that, I want to hear it at its best, so yes, maybe it's just a fan thing, but as you say, Nothing was better than Last Cigarette or Wildflowers.

Quote:
I've read comments on here how Cadillac Man would've been the massive hit single had it been on NJ. Or how Ain't Done Yet is the big classic Bon Jovi song that's much better than all of the last album.
Well, it's something that many fans are wrong about. Cadillac Man is a song that was written for a soundtrack in late 1989. It has nothing to do with NJ except that it was written in the middle of touring, and I repeat, for a movie. I can't speak for the others, but I love that song, maybe it's not the best in their catalog, but it's one of those songs that I would love to have, it's definitely much better than Billy or Ordinary People. Cadillac Man has something nostalgic in that tune that makes it irresistible to me. About Ain't Done Yet, you're right, people freak out a bit, but I don't blame them, it's a new song, and it always has that reaction, besides I don't consider it an aberration either.. feels like a rough demo like Welcome To The good Times.

Quote:
I'm sure Nothing would've gotten a decent amount of radio airplay but that's where it would've ended as well. In fact, choosing HAND with its iconic smirk and Who Says as singles was the best they could've squeezed out of the album in terms of promotion at the time. There's always the tracks we as fans like more and I personally love Dirty Little Secret, but I don't imagine it would've made a big dent in the charts. Nothing might've achieved something on the level of Everyday, but not really much more.
Exactly that. Maybe it wouldn't have been a single, but damn, it deserved to be on the official tracklist. Because this one makes the album more solid, like Crush with Just Older, Bounce with The Distance, Lost Highway with Any Other Day, The Circle with Brokenpromiseland....and so on. Later Jon can choose to play it live or not, but the album would have been much more solid and satisfying.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 10-01-2022 at 10:07 PM..
Old 10-01-2022, 10:41 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

A sick part of me is glad Nothing isn't on the album. Whether or not you like Wildlflower or Last Cigaratte, they add something different to the overall sound. I love HAND but my god is it a same-y album with a lot of the songs being almost interchangeable.

I really do like Nothing but the way people dog on Jon for being bad at A&R as if they released the song we enjoy would rocket them to the top of the charts and get massive airplay....They made a buch of very of-the-times albums and didn't get them very far. The band became so uncool to the general public and they might have just tried too hard to be hip.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:17 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
A sick part of me is glad Nothing isn't on the album. Whether or not you like Wildlflower or Last Cigaratte, they add something different to the overall sound. I love HAND but my god is it a same-y album with a lot of the songs being almost interchangeable.

I really do like Nothing but the way people dog on Jon for being bad at A&R as if they released the song we enjoy would rocket them to the top of the charts and get massive airplay....They made a buch of very of-the-times albums and didn't get them very far. The band became so uncool to the general public and they might have just tried too hard to be hip.
You're probably right, who are we to tell an artist what songs to make on the album. I think an artist has to choose for himself, and not his fans.

Now, don't blame the fans for loving the songs that didn't make the album. That's a good thing, and I hope that Jon and the Jovi camp see it that way. Fans are interested in those songs that didn't make the album and never made it into an official release. Therefore, they could please us to give us those songs that we like so much in the best quality they can give us. I'm not just talking about Nothing or that unicorn called Cadillac Man. I'd also like a release of SWW outtakes. I love Game Of The Heart, you can't resist that, it has such an 80s flavor. That's why I would love a deluxe edition of SWW like NJ super Deluxe 2014.

Hopefully they will find a way to launch these types of things that we want and many others that we have never even heard of.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:37 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

I mentioned I am because I remember some interview where Jon said Nothing was ditched because too similar to that song. I would have been all in favor of Nothing instead of Wildflower which is to me the cursed song of HAND, as Fast cars is for The Circle.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:11 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I mentioned I am because I remember some interview where Jon said Nothing was ditched because too similar to that song. I would have been all in favor of Nothing instead of Wildflower which is to me the cursed song of HAND, as Fast cars is for The Circle.
It's a shame bonus tracks were never released for The Circle. I hope those songs that didn't make the album will be included in the next box set as well. I never got to listen to them and it could be very interesting.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52 AM
Jovi Freak

While Wildflower is not great, Fast Cars and Live Before You Die flat out suck! I have no idea why these two are on The Circle.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:10 AM
Blaze of Posting

There's always been a few songs that I love and see the majority of people either being indifferent towards them or hating them. Wildflower and especially Fast Cars are 2 of those to me. Something about Fast Cars that just gets to me. Live before you die however has always been a skip for me, kind of a chore to get through a full listen....
Old 10-03-2022, 08:39 AM
Price of posting

Hand was the start of the slide to mediocrity. Such a dull album bar a handful of tracks. Personally it’s their 4th worst behind 2020, THINFS and The circle…..which leads me onto……

The circle is ok but even Jon says it doesn’t hold up. Too many forgettable tracks and made a few worst album of the year lists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 10-03-2022, 11:21 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Nothing tends to get the Cadillac Man-treatment from time to time. Or the outtake phenomenon if you will. It's a song not on the album, so it's something rare and people tend to make these bigger than they are.
Yes and no. A song not making it on the album doesn't always make it one of the best just for the sake of not being on the album. If we take the New Jersey outtakes as an example, I think none of them is good enough to be on the album. But with the post-2000 records I think the biggest problem is that Jon usually pulled some of the best songs off.
That doesn't mean that every outtake is one of the best songs. But I think we can agree that (at least) with Crush onwards there's minimum 1 outtake that would have been a way better fit than let's say 40% of what made it on the album.

Quote:
I've read comments on here how Cadillac Man would've been the massive hit single had it been on NJ.
I absolutely love that song. But I don't think it would have done any good as a single.

Quote:
Or how Ain't Done Yet is the big classic Bon Jovi song that's much better than all of the last album.
Nah, it's the same crap like the rest on that album.

Quote:
I'm sure Nothing would've gotten a decent amount of radio airplay but that's where it would've ended as well. In fact, choosing HAND with its iconic smirk and Who Says as singles was the best they could've squeezed out of the album in terms of promotion at the time. There's always the tracks we as fans like more and I personally love Dirty Little Secret, but I don't imagine it would've made a big dent in the charts. Nothing might've achieved something on the level of Everyday, but not really much more.
Well, it's a discussion full of "if's" and we will never know who is right.
But I don't agree with you saying HAND and Who Says were the best singles.
HAND was a great one - no doubt about that. But Who Says was only great in the US and even there just because of the country version.
In Europe it didn't do any good (for the BJ standards back then) except the UK with #5. But the rest didn't care for that song. With it being #54 in Germany it's on the same level like Only Lonely did in the US in 1985. Even Misunderstood (#35) and All About Loving You (#21) did better.

I'm not saying Nothing would have been a #1-single.
But I really think it would have reached Top-10, maybe Top-20 at worst and would have given the album another boost. At least much more than with the singles they had chosen.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:20 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielC View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf4r_xuOlgJ/

This means NOTHING, but I wasn't expecting it
Maybe it means something after all.