Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Anything Thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Jovi Addict

https://youtu.be/OfATK3hXHxQ

Richie interview "Jay Leno show" 1998

At 1:56 the first news that Richie and Jon will write again together for another record "Crush"
Old 11-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Jon Bon Jovi on feeding the community

Old 11-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
Jon Bon Jovi on feeding the community

Jon Bon Jovi on feeding the community - YouTube
How this devil turned into such a nice guy? -_-
I love him.
PS Jovi98, I've just read your PM, you're a very sweet guy.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
How this devil turned into such a nice guy? -_-
I love him.
PS Jovi98, I've just read your PM, you're a very sweet guy.
Thanks ahahah
Old 11-28-2019, 05:47 AM
Jovi Freak

On the BJ official store, there's a lot of shirts with the original members -_-: https://www.bonjoviofficialmerch.com/
Old 11-28-2019, 10:14 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
On the BJ official store, there's a lot of shirts with the original members -_-: https://www.bonjoviofficialmerch.com/
Looking at these items made me realize that as much as Jon likes to take credit for being a great businessman, he (and his team) never really figured out the merch game properly. So many iconic rock bands managed to market very logos and designs to sell countless t-shirts that looked simple and cool - AC/DC, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, etc. just to name a few - and Bon Jovi is still stuck with that heart n dagger thing that never really caught on OR, even worse, band pictures, which never look good on t-shirts in my book.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:47 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Looking at these items made me realize that as much as Jon likes to take credit for being a great businessman, he (and his team) never really figured out the merch game properly. So many iconic rock bands managed to market very logos and designs to sell countless t-shirts that looked simple and cool - AC/DC, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, etc. just to name a few - and Bon Jovi is still stuck with that heart n dagger thing that never really caught on OR, even worse, band pictures, which never look good on t-shirts in my book.
I agree. I've got loads of band shirts and have seen Bon Jovi more than any other band yet have few T-shirts of them because frankly, most look shit.

The Stones, Metallica and GnR all have members who have a creative vision expanding over more than just music. Jon has shown time after time how he's rather limited in his creative expressions and is absolutely clueless when it comes to designing a stage and thinking about what would go over well and what wouldn't. I'm not saying he has to go out there and design T-shirts himself but nowadays many bands have developed a relationship with photographers and designers. Bon Jovi doesn't, it's a constant coming and going of styles and designs and there's really not a lot of iconic photos of the band. That heart and dagger logo is terrible, you can't place it on anything. It's too detailed and looks messy. Much like Bon Jovi's music, it doesn't breathe. There's a reason why the Smirk works.

Another thing that comes to mind is how Jon/BJM often hire people who are "a friend of a friend". When the website was redesigned many years ago it didn't work at all and eventually someone from tech team admitting they got the job because they were friends with Jon. I've no idea how reliable the story is but it'd make sense considering how album art, DVD releases and live mixes are all done by people Jon has hired because he knows them as opposed to hiring them because they've done a good job. After 30 years the only good footage of this band was done by either a bootlegger or the BBC. And it's really not that hard to design a T-shirt for a band once you get to know their audience.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 11-28-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Old 11-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Jovi Freak

1. Almost all of these look absolutely terrible.
2. None of these look great. The Wanted shirt is pretty ok, but not more, and the Bad Name shirt could be good, if the band name was not indicated, because... Jesus it kills the whole casual design. Also, it's 40 bucks. Speaking of which:
3. These prices are a ****ing joke. "Working class band" my ass. (Also, no manufacterer indicated, so it's probably some sweatshop brand, sold for a measly 40 bucks, i.e. a couple thousand % profit rate. Does anybody want what's left of me?)
4. They do know their audience, however, given the "All this mom needs is wine and Bon Jovi" shirt.

Last edited by Alphavictim; 11-28-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Old 11-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
That heart and dagger logo is terrible, you can't place it on anything. It's too detailed and looks messy. Much like Bon Jovi's music, it doesn't breathe. There's a reason why the Smirk works.
The puzzling thing is that it looks so incredibly dated, too. It looks like a relic of the era it belongs to, which is the mid 80s - an association the band / Jon has been wanting to shake for almost 30 years.

The logo they used in the 90s was great, very printable, and while somewhat connected to the previous one, rather timeless. It hasn't appeared again ever since, unless I am mistaken. The band's "brand" is Jon, and while having a brand is one thing, having a visual identity is another. That's missing, too.

Also, if anything, these shirt designs show that Bon Jovi have failed to be the one thing they'd wanted to be, according to the band: A pop band. These are crappy rock band shirts. Worn by people with solarium burnt skin and gold chains. They are not cheeky, they're not popping, they're just... I wonder why none of them have an acid washed denim & leather design.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Something for the Posts

Thumbs down

Anyone that buys a t-shirt that says "I like my kids, but I love Bon Jovi" needs to get a freaking life....