View Single Post

Old 01-30-2004, 03:25 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Articles 01-29-04

http://www.courierpostonline.com/new...s/s012904a.htm

Jon Bon Jovi is heart of the Soul

JOSE F. MORENO/Courier-Post
Philadelphia Soul majority owner Jon Bon Jovi is interviewed by the media Wednesday on the floor of the Wachovia Spectrum.

Thursday, January 29, 2004

Rock-star owner has created buzz for Philadelphia's new Arena football team
By MICHAEL RADANO
Courier-Post Staff
PHILADELPHIA

If there was ever an expansion organization that had a face, this is it.

On Wednesday, the Philadelphia Soul hosted the media on the floor of the Wachovia Spectrum. Players, coaches and front-office personnel from the city's new Arena Football League team walked around, mingled and took in the surroundings.

With a scrimmage against the New York Dragons set for 7 p.m., the media session was either a burden or a nice break from the daily grind. It also didn't hurt that, for the most part, they were ignored.

Sure, Soul head coach Mike Trigg entertained a few cameramen. As did wide receiver/defensive back Keita Crespina, a Temple product, and a few assorted other players.

Still, this team has a face that the general public recognizes.

It has a persona that comes with one of its owners. It has a built-in image, because that's just the way things are.

No matter how you look at it, the Soul are Jon Bon Jovi's team.

"As I told people before, most teams have 12 to 14 months to build a team," said Craig Spencer, who along with Bon Jovi shares the title of Majority Owner and Co-Chairman of the Board. "We've done it in four.

"As great as Philadelphia is, and they've really embraced us, without Jon turning on that spotlight so strongly, it would have taken us a lot longer."

Translation, without Bon Jovi, the Soul were looking to 2005 before they could have had an inaugural season. That's with local backing - including former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski, who is the team president - and an excited fan base that is already over 10,000 strong in season-ticket sales.

"If there is any mantra that I've ever lived by it is to always try," Bon Jovi said. "It never can be a coulda, woulda, shoulda. It was something else to do to stretch out as an individual."

The face of the Soul has done that.

In case you don't recognize the face, here's a quick recap of what the New Jersey native has done.

As the front man for the rock group Bon Jovi, he's been a part of an act that has sold more than 100 million records worldwide and has performed over 2,000 shows in 47 countries for more than 32 million fans.

He has appeared in 10 motion pictures and on such television shows as Ally McBeal and Sex and the City.

And now, he's an owner of a professional football team.

"I know on several occasions they tried to bring a team to Philadelphia, but these two buildings (the Spectrum and Wachovia Center) are always filled," Bon Jovi said. "I guess after we sold out (Veterans Stadium) a few times, they figured they'd give us eight dates."

Even with a face, the Soul face an interesting battle.

The Arena Football League is entering its 18th season and with the Soul, has expanded to 18 teams. In many cities, the league has been a success, but the question remains, will it be one here?

"I've seen this league prosper in several markets," Trigg said. "It's great timing of us to be here. Arena football has made great strides, with NBC coming in and several other sponsors.

"Jon's really excited about it. A lot of owners typically have different reasons for why they want to have a pro team. Maybe it's for profile, maybe it's to supplement other ventures. Others do it because they just love the game, and that's why Jon's involved."

And it's definitely not about the money.

"Hey guys, we're broke," Bon Jovi said. "This isn't about making money. Do we have sponsors? Yes. Are we doing better than many thought we would by this point? Yes, but I'm never satisfied.

"Look, I'm a football junkie. This is more of a way to give back to the community."

Bon Jovi and the Soul have made their presence felt. They've gone out and met the fans on several occasions and have created a buzz that has caught some of the players a little bit off guard.

"It's sort of like all the eyes are on you," said lineman Michael Harrison, 29, who graduated from Camden High School before he moved on to N.C. State.

Harrison was a second-team All-South Jersey selection by the Courier-Post in 1991.

"The public's always watching," Harrison added. "The media loves him. Of course, we're going to get more publicity and notoriety because we're a new team and he's one of our owners."

And for now, he's the face of the franchise.