Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Jon Bon Jovi the songwriter

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Default Jon Bon Jovi the songwriter

I know people might jump on me for this, and before I'm accused of being anti-Jon, I am a huge fan of his from the band to the solo artist to the actor. However, am I the only one who found the post about Ugly being written (solo) by Eric Bazilian, with Bazilian insisting Jon's name was added to the writing credits as a "business consideration", very disturbing. While I appreciate that this is purely Bazilian's claim and not one admitted by Jon, why would Jon not have set the record straight if it were untrue. To me the claim seriously undermines his artistic credibility.

If Bazilian's claims are true, it really casts doubt on Jon's songwriting abilities. For some time I have been hearing claims that a lot of Jon's/the bands songs are ghost (co)written. Should this be true it really makes a liar out of Jon, to the point where he is just deceiving the fans. How many times has he denounced "She Dont Know Me" because it wasnt written by the band. How many times has he said that he cant put other people's songs on the albums? If Bazilian's claims are true, then what Jon is effectively saying is that he cant be seen to put other people's songs on the albums and as long as his name is added to the writing credits, there isnt a proplem. To me there is a serious question mark over Jon's integrity.

While Bazilian may be wrong there is quite a difference between the songs Jon has being credited with writing solo. When you take "Save the World"(our love is even stronger than God hoped it could be"), "I Got the Girl", "Living in Sin" "Right Side of Wrong" and compare them with the songs Jon is credited with writing solo on KTF-TD-and DA, it seems like the songs were written by different people. While I'm more than aware that even the best write bad songs(take Dylan's religious spell before his return to greatness with albums like "Time out of mind"), I cant help but wonder with what Bazilian has claimed.

It is closely related to another thread by Becky I suppose. I expect the artists I like to write their own material. If they dont and lie about it then they are treating the public with contempt. I hope this is not the case with Jon.

Old 08-07-2004, 02:42 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Personally, I don't believe eric when he said Jon had nothing to do with the song "ugly" namely for the "In your eyes, the skies a different blue". And that frigging line was used once before "It's hard letting you go, and once after, "Thank you for Loving me", so unless Eric pulled a Jon, I'm pretty sure Jon had a hand in writing the original song.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:45 AM
Blaze of Posting

Default Re: Jon Bon Jovi the songwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi

While Bazilian may be wrong there is quite a difference between the songs Jon has being credited with writing solo. When you take "Save the World"(our love is even stronger than God hoped it could be"), "I Got the Girl", "Living in Sin" "Right Side of Wrong" and compare them with the songs Jon is credited with writing solo on KTF-TD-and DA, it seems like the songs were written by different people.
the best songwriters often can write very diferent songs in very diferent styles.Bon Jobi has always been a very varied band when it comes to the music they ofer us in the different albums they have done, so why couldn't it be that Jon has a very eclectic taste in music??
It seems very odd that Eric Bazilian claims that he wrote Ugly on his own, maybe he wrote a majority of his own or he was just having an ego boost at the time he gave that interview.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:38 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Quote:
I know people might jump on me for this, and before I'm accused of being anti-Jon, I am a huge fan of his from the band to the solo artist to the actor. However, am I the only one who found the post about Ugly being written (solo) by Eric Bazilian, with Bazilian insisting Jon's name was added to the writing credits as a "business consideration", very disturbing. While I appreciate that this is purely Bazilian's claim and not one admitted by Jon, why would Jon not have set the record straight if it were untrue. To me the claim seriously undermines his artistic credibility.

If Bazilian's claims are true, it really casts doubt on Jon's songwriting abilities. For some time I have been hearing claims that a lot of Jon's/the bands songs are ghost (co)written. Should this be true it really makes a liar out of Jon, to the point where he is just deceiving the fans. How many times has he denounced "She Dont Know Me" because it wasnt written by the band. How many times has he said that he cant put other people's songs on the albums? If Bazilian's claims are true, then what Jon is effectively saying is that he cant be seen to put other people's songs on the albums and as long as his name is added to the writing credits, there isnt a proplem. To me there is a serious question mark over Jon's integrity.

While Bazilian may be wrong there is quite a difference between the songs Jon has being credited with writing solo. When you take "Save the World"(our love is even stronger than God hoped it could be"), "I Got the Girl", "Living in Sin" "Right Side of Wrong" and compare them with the songs Jon is credited with writing solo on KTF-TD-and DA, it seems like the songs were written by different people. While I'm more than aware that even the best write bad songs(take Dylan's religious spell before his return to greatness with albums like "Time out of mind"), I cant help but wonder with what Bazilian has claimed.

It is closely related to another thread by Becky I suppose. I expect the artists I like to write their own material. If they dont and lie about it then they are treating the public with contempt. I hope this is not the case with Jon.
I think the songs Jon writes solo really stand out , of course they are different over the years, he isnt the same man that wrote songs in SWW who then write songs on Bounce. He has grown up been through experiences so therefore his writing will grow also. If his voice can grow/change then why not his writing ability.

Dawn

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bon-Jo...41182859285688

JOVITALK LIVING ON A PRAYER VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHD8FJtJQ4

Dry County 8th June 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3Yi...eature=related

ALL I NEED IS YOU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UDWk6e_aE
Old 08-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Price of posting

Send a message via ICQ to Sambo-Chris Send a message via MSN to Sambo-Chris

Bazillian wrote the song Ugly originally for someone else. But this doesn't mean that Jon didn't take any changes. As long as he worked a little bit on the song, he is credited as the songwriter. That Jon is mentioned as the writer doesn't let you see how much he wrote of the song. As long as he wrote a part of it or brought in his ideas, he is one of the songwriters. Remember, Desmond Child got songwriting credits for Prayer even though he only had the idea with the talkbox.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Posting Always

Quote:

What absolute rubbish. I haven't seen this article your referring to so couldn't comment if it is credible or not. But your basing your opinion on one song and the word of somebody you know nothing about.
However, even if it's rue, your not taking into account the great songs Jon has written without the help of anybody: Dry County, Always, Santa Fe, Blaze of Glory, It's Just Me, etc, etc.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris
Bazillian wrote the song Ugly originally for someone else. But this doesn't mean that Jon didn't take any changes. As long as he worked a little bit on the song, he is credited as the songwriter. That Jon is mentioned as the writer doesn't let you see how much he wrote of the song. As long as he wrote a part of it or brought in his ideas, he is one of the songwriters. Remember, Desmond Child got songwriting credits for Prayer even though he only had the idea with the talkbox.
Desmond also got credit on Bad Medicine just for suggesting they use the chorus of one song integrated into that one (That's what you get for falling in love...). Jon and Richie said they were "pissed off" (jokingly) that it was such a great idea because they put so much time into writing Bad Medicine that they didn't want to credit anyone, but Desmond being the brilliant writer that he was did make the song better with that suggestion.

Becky
Old 08-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

It happens all the time and it's not as big a deal as anyone thinks.

Even if Jon wrote 1 line, he'll be credited accordingly, if bazillion came up with the top line melody then he shouldn't be moaning because he'd be getting a major cut of the writing credit.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Jovi Fan

Send a message via MSN to Tooka
Default i disagree

as a small song writer myself, i believe i can feel jon all over their records. i have to say that one of the greatest artists in history, shakespeare was accused of stealing his plays from a ghost writer, which is unproven and in my opinion, nonsense...
ofcourse, jon is no shakespear, but he is the writer of his songs, as far as i'm concerned.