View Single Post

Old 06-20-2021, 03:36 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Business-wise, I don't think Jon Bon Jovi is a very smart man. He's constantly tried selling a product to a group of people who wanted something else. He's misunderstood his target audience, taken most fans for granted while trying to bring in new fans that do buy his new record because it's got whatever hit on it but also abandon ship once his next album sounds like nowadays pop/rock music.
I heard an interview with Desmond Child recently-ish, and he mentioned that in the 80s, he and all the bands he worked with made a conscious effort to not write lyrics which were "too girly", since female fans were not very loyal in the face of changing trends. Desmond kinda drove that point home by saying to the interviewer "guys like you are the ones who talk to me about that album 30 years later" or something like this. I mean, that is probably somewhat sexist to say, but whether it is or not, Jon seems to have tossed that principle outta the windows LONG ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljovi93 View Post
This is exactly the audience Jon caters for now. It's been like that for many years but now more than ever. People around the age group who suck up to Matt to get into Jon somehow.
It's like giving the roadie a blow job so you get backstage and meet the actual band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljovi93 View Post
If Bon Jovi done a duet with The Killers, they'd probably get the whole 'selling themselves' and 'trying to be current' shouts yet Bruce pulls it off because he's still got his core fan base and from what I can gather, produces quality material and puts on one hell of a show still.
Bruce has done on-stage appearances with Mike Ness of SoCal punk band Social Distortion - because he likes his music and writing. I can't for the life of me imagine JBJ doing anything similar. He made on-stage appearances with Rihanna. I don't think he'd consider appearing with lesser known artists, or has even much of a clue as far as less known stuff goes. Which is okay, but also makes it hard to believe that he'd appear with somebody strictly because he digs their music. Yeah, he toured in this capacity in... 1990? Which was when I'd argue everyone of us felt that the guy was all about the music.