View Single Post

Old 07-21-2003, 02:19 AM
These Days

Send a message via ICQ to joviscout Send a message via MSN to joviscout

And on another web site
The band's strong point is the fact that they write great bridges. In the 80's it seemed the bridge was often the most important part of the song ("Livin On A Prayer's" 'we've got to hold on...etc being a prime example) but lately they seem to have all but disappeared from bands' vocabulary. "Growing On Me" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" are blessed with two absolute gems that rival the choruses themselves. The former is probably Justin Hawkins' most accomplished vocal performance on the album. He keeps the wailing to a minimum, therefore giving it greater emphasis when it is utilised and letting us hear just what a fine rock voice he possesses. It's a damn fine tune and one that will be on pub jukeboxes for many years to come I'm sure. "I Believe..."is a good old-fashioned rock love song (My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel) and is followed by the sublime "Love Is Only A Feeling". Complete with mandolins this is almost Boston esque, a pure classic rock track.