Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Box Set Revisited

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM
WhamATC

You Can Sleep While I Dream vocals sound like everything from the 90's to 2000/2001 for me.
I think it might be from TD or Crush, more likely Crush by how it overall sounds and feels like.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamATC View Post
You Can Sleep While I Dream vocals sound like everything from the 90's to 2000/2001 for me.
I think it might be from TD or Crush, more likely Crush by how it overall sounds and feels like.
Yep, it sounds all over the place for me too in terms of different things being added in different eras.

Btw. Jon quoted George B. Shaw in that song:
"Some people see things as they are and ask why
I dream things that never were
(I take my shot) and say why not?"
Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Yep, it sounds all over the place for me too in terms of different things being added in different eras.

Btw. Jon quoted George B. Shaw in that song:
"Some people see things as they are and ask why
I dream things that never were
(I take my shot) and say why not?"
I never realized that was G.B. Shaw! I had always heard it attributed to John F. Kennedy. I assumed Jon was quoting/paraphrasing JFK. Or, as it turns out, Robert or Edward. Apparently, all three Kennedys quoted some version of it, at one time or another; but JFK is the one who used it first. (He credited Shaw, too; but I never actually heard the entire speech - just that quote.)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_...#Misattributed

The things you learn on the way to learning other things... I love this board!

Sorry for the topical detour; carry on!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:45 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
1. The original song sketch really is from around 1993/94 since the whole song structure and melody fit too well. However, Jon may have decided that it needed different lyrics and that songwriter team worked out new ones for that after having finished copying One of Us from Joan Osbourne.
In the end, the song wasn't the direction the band wanted to take and it went back into the vault and then onto the Box Set.
I can live with this theory.
The songwriters they wrote with during the Crush sessions are a good point, too. But I can't believe that the origins of this song were written in 1999.
So Dominik's theory makes the most sense to me (and we got something similar [probably] with Ordinary People so there might be some truth to it).
Old 08-14-2018, 11:18 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

For Ordinary People to have been written pre-'99 I'm open to it. But I don't see them releasing a mid 90's song as a B-side in 2000 with such a wealth of new material. Something about that wouldn't be likely to me. That and Jon flat out recreating Shawn Mullin's Lullaby.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Price of posting

The dvd if anyone’s interested

https://youtu.be/fJVf52OBHsY

https://youtu.be/zgIdIR5lqcc
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 08-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Send a message via AIM to Grantos1

What's the chances that Obie wasn't given sufficient time to get all the notes together for recording dates? Or his accurate notes differed from what Jon could remember and they went with Jon's memory?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:10 PM
This Post Feels Right

He mentioned somethings just weren't labelled properly. The band's memory of this stuff is faulty due to the sheer amount of things recorded. I think it was just a case of a pre-digital world that wasn't labelled as well as it should have.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 08-17-2018 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Send a message via AIM to Grantos1

Just to clear something up which I haven't seen on this thread - in 1996 Jon recorded material (I Get a Rush, River Runs Dry etc) which I am sure wasn't with the rest of the band and had to be finished for the boxset.

Was he planning a solo record at this time or was it going to end up a band album? Obviously either way, he went to London and changed courses with what he was doing, I just wondered if anyone knew what they were intended for?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:05 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantos1 View Post
Just to clear something up which I haven't seen on this thread - in 1996 Jon recorded material (I Get a Rush, River Runs Dry etc) which I am sure wasn't with the rest of the band and had to be finished for the boxset.

Was he planning a solo record at this time or was it going to end up a band album? Obviously either way, he went to London and changed courses with what he was doing, I just wondered if anyone knew what they were intended for?
That year always confused me, 1996. I know there was some interview from the 90's saying Jon had a mobile studio outside each venue and he would record demos for D.A using the band. I wonder if these songs stemmed from that, even though it's clear those songs contain no other band members. To me the songs sound post D.A. pre Crush but who knows.

Tags
2004 box set, box set