View Single Post

Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
This is question that I'd like to know the answer to too...

"Playing On Every Album" doesn't mean playing 100% of every song on every album, or does it?

- I do get that there are studio musicians who are better with writing and being specific when it comes to it's parts...

- Hugh has zero stage presence. Maybe in a band like Weezer but not for Bon Jovi... so I get why they used someone else...

- There is the rumored 2 for 1 deal between him and Tico... I don't know if it was a deal breaker or how extreme it was but...

- Back to stage presence, Alec has/had a sick Falsetto... He is missed on the These Days tour and definitely even more so missed going forward... I think Bobby was supposed to be Alec's replacement but didn't really have that chemistry.

- If you listen to the rehearsals from the MTV KTF NYC Promo, you really do get a true feel of the relationship between him and Jon... Alec is very difficult and diva like and you can hear frustration in Jon's voice. I think there is even a part where Jon snapped at him too...

- Did he quit or get fired? IMO Jon fired him.. Alec wanted to slow down a little after the KTF Tour and Jon took it as "he's quitting" but in reality, I think they were just on two different pages and Jon got rid of him...

Which is essentially the same things that drove Richie out 20 years later... Richie wants to slow down, he feels that Bon Jovi are cranking out manufactured albums and nothing more than an corporate machine... I don't bame him for leaving... I just fault him for walking out on the fans... And now for making these shit songs with his girlfriend even though he has no corporate ties (Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a Richie topic - back to Alec)

So yeah, the magic question is, was Alec ever in the studio? Hugh played on every album but did he play on every song? Did he play 100% of every song? After Fahrenheit, we are only talking about three albums... but a shitload of demos...
I think you're mostly spot on. Looks and stage presence was very important in the 80s the way Bon Jovi was marketed.

The only thing perhaps missing is Alec doing several stupid interviews bashing Jon at the end of his stint. That had to be a major contributing factor for Jon firing him and that is why the Alec-Richie comparison does not fully make sense. You don't see Richie saying anything negative about Jon even when he's out of the band.