View Single Post

Old 10-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Livin' on a Post

Celebrating NJ30: RARE STUFF #02 - "Guitar Jam" pt. 1 & pt. 2 articles from the "Guitar - for the practising musician" magazines MAY 1988 & JUNE 1988.

Just finished editing this for my musician mags project and thought it'd be nice to share here. This edit includes mainly Sambora's comments. Some interesting stuff here:

"We did 240 some odd gigs and we soundchecked every one all the way to the end. We had a lot of moniter problems this year. We changed companies three times. Monitor men went in and out like water. When Bon Jovi plays live it's heavier than it is on the record. It's a lot of guitar and we don't use tape so we do a lot of background vocals. All five of us sing. As the months go on a singer's voice can get weaker. It doesn't have the power. I have a voice that may not be good but it's loud. I'm blowing shit up. Our bass player [Alec John Such] has one of these voices that has its own EQ. It cuts trough no matter what. He's the real high voice. The other guys are singing loud too so it's almost a heavy metal environment with quartet vocals. Monitor men were pulling their hair out. We soundchecked, but what a pain in the ass. Everybody is trying to fix the problems from the last night all at the same time. You only have so much time before the union opens up the hall and lets the kids in. There is never enough time to make that soundcheck really count. Every room is different to begin with and then when you put all the kids in every room is even more different."

ENJOY!!