Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The News Tribune, Tacoma, WA review

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default The News Tribune, Tacoma, WA review

Bon Jovi "Bounce" (Island): The boys from Jersey are back with "Bounce," one of the best hard-rock records to be released this year.

The album races from the gate with "Undivided," an ode to the events of Sept. 11, 2001. But unlike fellow Jersey guy Bruce Springsteen, whose "Rising" tracks are more mournful, Bon Jovi's "Undivided" is angry, raw and aggressive.

"Everyday," the first single, should be a hit with its catchy hooks and powerful percussion from drummer Tico Torres. And Bon Jovi creates a modern-day "Levon" with "Hey Joey," a tale of a dimwitted neighborhood guy with big dreams and a talent for picking locks.

The title track could be called "It's My Life '02," since it borrows heavily from the smash track from 2000's "Crush" album, but nevertheless it rocks along nicely. And there are the obligatory prom-night ballads "All About Loving You," "You Had Me From Hello" and "Open All Night," which feature the band's tender side.

Richie Sambora's guitar and Hugh McDonald's bass have never sounded chunkier or meaner than on rockers such as "Hook Me Up" and "The Distance." The album's one flaw is the paucity and simplicity of Sambora's solos; this musician is capable of a great deal more.

Wayne Parry, The Associated Press