Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Desmond Child Talking about Writing LOAP

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 05-08-2020, 11:24 PM
rokuli's Avatar
rokuli rokuli is offline
Senior Member
Hardest Part is the Night
 
Join Date: 05 May 2016
Gender: male
Posts: 243
Default

And here's Dave talking about what he wrote for Prayer (and never got credit for):

https://youtu.be/FdDgXxFll3Y?t=190
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 05-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,544
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Interesting! I thought it was Hugh that came up with that part but now Im not sure if I'm confusing it with something else.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Alphavictim Alphavictim is offline
Senior Member
Something for the Posts
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 33
Gender: male
Posts: 2,949
Default

They've always talked about how the bass line they had sounded too much like something else, so it was tweaked in the studio. I too believe that it was Hugh who came up with the one we know.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Jack27 Jack27 is offline
Senior Member
Wanted Dead or Alive
 
Join Date: 03 Dec 2002
Posts: 406
Send a message via MSN to Jack27
Default

In the album "The Powerstation Years" there's a song called "Don't Leave Me Tonight" and there's a line that reads "Tommy's home and waiting up for you". So I'd say Tommy is Jon's character.
__________________
Let The Dreamers Dream
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2020, 08:40 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,544
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack27 View Post
In the album "The Powerstation Years" there's a song called "Don't Leave Me Tonight" and there's a line that reads "Tommy's home and waiting up for you". So I'd say Tommy is Jon's character.
I'm pretty sure the character was originally Johnny but he didn't feel comfortable with that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-09-2020, 08:57 PM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,950
Default

I've given up trying to figure out who contributed which portion on that song long time ago. Everyone who played some part in that mega hit has told their own versions of how it came together or what was changed, no matter if it's Jon, Desmond, Richie, David or Hugh and some parts always overlap and cut in on each other. They've all told these stories so many times and probably changed little details here and there that they most likely don't even properly remember who really contributed just how much.
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,544
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I've given up trying to figure out who contributed which portion on that song long time ago. Everyone who played some part in that mega hit has told their own versions of how it came together or what was changed, no matter if it's Jon, Desmond, Richie, David or Hugh and some parts always overlap and cut in on each other. They've all told these stories so many times and probably changed little details here and there that they most likely don't even properly remember who really contributed just how much.
Agreed. Though it'd be nice to see who said what and when. Dave's instructional video would have been during the New Jersey promo I think? A lot of the other anecdotes about who did what came much later I'd think.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 PM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Agreed. Though it'd be nice to see who said what and when. Dave's instructional video would have been during the New Jersey promo I think? A lot of the other anecdotes about who did what came much later I'd think.
I think both instruction videos from Dave and Tico were late '87 after the SWW tour, so yeah, that was still pretty close to the song's origin.
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.