View Single Post

Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suojelusperkele View Post
I think it's a very good album, miles and miles better than anything the band have released in the 21st century. It's a significant album for the fact that after the band's debut album, it's Jon's one and only album that doesn't have an obvious ballad (though there are no love songs on Blaze of Glory, Santa Fe has the musical structure of a typical over-the-top power ballad), and it's also the last time when Jon wrote good lyrics and the last time when he managed to write several songs for an album without outside help. It's maybe the relative financial flop of the album to blame for Crush being such an incredibly safe, Bon Jovi-by-number album, but Destination Anywhere is the real deal... The album is very down to earth and adult for a (Jon) Bon Jovi record, perhaps even risky and hip. Jon is definitely trying new things on the album, and though there are a few fillers on it, overall the album works well. And Queen of New Orleans may be the coolest song he ever did.
I agree all the way around here. And your last sentence illustrates that they (or he) won't do stuff like this again. They just played the New Orleans JazzFest - if you have a song that's as good as Queen of New Orleans - why not play it there? That seems to be a no-brainer to me - but it didn't get played.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.