View Single Post

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
The title just brings down the song which, otherwise, has brilliant verses.

Yes, Cinderella had a song called The More Things Change. Warrant had a song called Bed of Roses. Kenny Chesney had a song called Summertime. Poison—Something to Believe In. Hank Williams—Lost Highway. But those are all pretty common phrases. “Don’t Take Your Love to Town” is not a phrase people used quite often, particularly in the 1990’s.
Plus, he and Richie had co-written "Jaime (Don't Take Your Love to Town)" a few years earlier.

https://youtu.be/yAmFKCRYWaQ

It doesn't help that the name in all three songs is two syllables, so it's easy to make the substitution. I'm with you, Becky. Every time I see the title, my mind automatically sings it to the tune of Ruby. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I always liked Kenny Rogers - all the way back to his First Edition days.)

BTW, The Marvelettes had a song titled Destination Anywhere, too. Just thought I'd throw that out for all the kiddies in the room.

Let's face it. If people never did songs with the same titles we'd probably never get new music anymore. At least the songs themselves are different, unlike about 10 years ago, when it seemed like every song I heard my RA's playing were covers of songs I knew from the 60s.

All that said, however, I agree DA is vastly underrated. I like nearly all the songs, including Janie, which is actually one of my favorites from the album. The only one I'm not crazy about is I Talk to Jesus. I don't know about the movie because I've never seen it.