Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Does Undiscovered Soul bridge the gap?

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
you say it, Becky: there's no need for them to do anything they don't like. but still i got the impression that they do. it's unfair, i know, but: how can anyone who wrote so many great songs really "be into" a project like bounce or HAND. these honestly are among the worst albums i have on my shelf and believe me, i got stuff like spice girls
i simply don't believe their lyrics- i mean rocking men in their midforties singing "welcome to wherever you are- this is your life- you made it this far". for me these kinda lyrics are not more than slogans for teenage kids so that they can identify with that "where's my place in this world" kinda stuff. i've got the impression that they don't make music for the heck of it but for the market.
my explanation: jon (and i officially exclude richie) is a "star". he has been in the center of the media for half his life. his world would be rocked if that changed. he wants to sell more records than anyone else, he wants to have bigger tours than everyone else, he wants to have more media attention than anyone else. or why do you think he states in every single interview "that there's nothing for him to proof". fact is that IslandDefJam, clearly said LA Reid gives shit about BJ- bj are no big harm and no major interest of them either. imho oppinion jon is completely aware of this and he fears that his time is over. and instead of giving LA the big middle finger and step down from the big horse and get used to a smaller business (AND be true to himself) he wants to show everybody that he still can do it- cause he's a goddamn fighter for success. so he goes out on stage singing teenage lyrics. and if you take a look at the HAND lyrics you'll find out that they're very close to "he was a boy/ she's was a girl/ can I make it anymore obvious/ he was a punk/ she did ballett/ what more can i say..."
I totally agree with you there. The Band are desperately trying to stay in the spotlight and they try to do so by writing music that they think is up to date and/or relevant and WTWYA is one of the results. Just my personal impression, I sincerely hope I am wrong though...

Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

I think DA was Jon's best work as a solo artist. His songwriting alone far surpasses much of his work with the band too. I know what you mean though because DA is writing for commercial success where all Bon Jovi albums are.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlochty View Post
I totally agree with you there. The Band are desperately trying to stay in the spotlight and they try to do so by writing music that they think is up to date and/or relevant and WTWYA is one of the results. Just my personal impression, I sincerely hope I am wrong though...
You aren't wrong.
You said everything exactly as it is...
Old 12-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Jovi Addict

I don't actually mind the lyrics to WTWYA, they're not amazing but they're more mature than say Last Cigarette, Complicated or Story Of My Life. JBJ's lyrics are very poor these days in general though. I thought he was really maturing lyrically on KTF and TD writing more thoughtful songs (With some exceptions obviously) but he's gone backwards since and it's really hard to defend Bon Jovi at the moment from accusations that they are a band with no substance.

At the moment they have no respect from the music world at large (I know they've never been the darlings of the critics but they did get some respect around the time of KTF and TD for surviving grunge and growing up) and they will not be remembered as one of the great bands of a generation unless they stop trying to appeal to the teen market and act their age. They are capable of writing great songs and can be decent lyricists at times but we need to see it again.
Blasting from high as the battle unfolds, to the gates of the city we come!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mc View Post
I don't actually mind the lyrics to WTWYA, they're not amazing but they're more mature than say Last Cigarette, Complicated or Story Of My Life. JBJ's lyrics are very poor these days in general though. I thought he was really maturing lyrically on KTF and TD writing more thoughtful songs (With some exceptions obviously) but he's gone backwards since and it's really hard to defend Bon Jovi at the moment from accusations that they are a band with no substance.

At the moment they have no respect from the music world at large (I know they've never been the darlings of the critics but they did get some respect around the time of KTF and TD for surviving grunge and growing up) and they will not be remembered as one of the great bands of a generation unless they stop trying to appeal to the teen market and act their age. They are capable of writing great songs and can be decent lyricists at times but we need to see it again.

It's all a matter of taste, but I think the lyrics of Last Cigarette are quite clever and not at all immature. I especially love the second verse, "just to breathe reminds me of what used to be.....the smoke's the ghost that keeps you close when I can't sleep......". I was instantly hooked on this song, especially with Tico's rolling drums.

For Story Of My Life, I see it as a song for all ages. I mean who can't identify with the words, "I know that no, I'm not all right...but I'll be okay 'cause anything can, everything can happen.....that's the story of my life."

It seems when Jon and Richie go ultra serious, like These Days, they are accused of being something their not (a few on this board made that claim), and then when they go back to more light hearted lyrics they are accused of being shitty lyricists.

deb
Old 12-17-2006, 04:34 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa View Post
It's all a matter of taste, but I think the lyrics of Last Cigarette are quite clever and not at all immature. I especially love the second verse, "just to breathe reminds me of what used to be.....the smoke's the ghost that keeps you close when I can't sleep......". I was instantly hooked on this song, especially with Tico's rolling drums.

For Story Of My Life, I see it as a song for all ages. I mean who can't identify with the words, "I know that no, I'm not all right...but I'll be okay 'cause anything can, everything can happen.....that's the story of my life."

It seems when Jon and Richie go ultra serious, like These Days, they are accused of being something their not (a few on this board made that claim), and then when they go back to more light hearted lyrics they are accused of being shitty lyricists.

deb
Bingo. Comes down to taste. Screw everyone else, screw the future, screw the other fans, screw how they'll be percieved by your friends. The question you gotta ask yourself is "Do I like it. Does it interest me?". If you love it, then that's all that matters I personally think. The day they make an album that just doesn't hold my interest, I just won't listen to it and hope the next one catches my interest I suppose.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Bingo. Comes down to taste. Screw everyone else, screw the future, screw the other fans, screw how they'll be percieved by your friends. The question you gotta ask yourself is "Do I like it. Does it interest me?". If you love it, then that's all that matters I personally think. The day they make an album that just doesn't hold my interest, I just won't listen to it and hope the next one catches my interest I suppose.
Well said my man! At the end of the day, "me" liking it is what is in important. I feel fortunate that since I became a fan in 1985 that I have yet to be disappointed in any of their records. If/when the time comes that I am disappointed, then I'll say so and deal with it.

deb
Old 12-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Perfect. Absolutely perfect.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:09 AM
I Wanna Rock
Jovi Freak

Send a message via MSN to {_Warrior_}

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa View Post
I feel fortunate that since I became a fan in 1985 that I have yet to be disappointed in any of their records.
You sure needs to feel lucky !
Old 12-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Jovi Addict

Ok it's all down to taste, I get that but surely even if you're blinkered enough to like everything they've ever released you must have noticed the drop off in quality. If Bon Jovi released a Best Of Album today (and had never released one before) it would be interesting to see how many songs from Crush, Bounce and HAND made the cut as compared to Slippery, New Jersey and Keep The Faith.
Blasting from high as the battle unfolds, to the gates of the city we come!

Tags
undiscovered soul