Home Register Members FAQ

Bon Jovi Influence

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Tom Bon Jovi #29
Default Bon Jovi Influence

Hi guys,

As bon jovi are by far, my favourite band, and as i have listened to or watched them almost everyday for a decade, i occasionaly find myself replicating jon and the band without realising it. Im sure many of you do the same thing, whether it be by taking on certain mannerisms or even vocabulary.

A couple of weeks ago i decided i would try and write a few songs, the problem with this was, when ever i tried to write a new line, a jovi lyric would pop into my head. I have now finsihed 2 songs and have tried to change anything that might sound to similar to anything bon jovi, so the songs are as original as possible. I havnt really showed anyone these songs and i have now heard them so many times that my opinion might be abit skewed. Either way i was just hoping to get your opinions on whether there is anything in either of the two songs that sounds too obviously bon jovi, and of course whether you like the songs. They are both still demos, so i can still change them around, but any help would be much appreciated, the link to where they have been uploaded is below, Thanks!

http://www.triplejunearthed.com/JonFlowers

Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
These Days

I'm sorry man but you can't expect to get a proper review if you use MIDI instrument. Sure, drums are ok to use as MIDI but everything else sounds awful with MIDI. Sure, it works when you work songs out, but not when you are supposed to show up your work for the world. And I would consider a new mic. The gain is awful.

Record them in a proper studio, it doesn't has to be a big pro studio, and I'll give it a proper review !
Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Thank you for sharing your songs. I am not a pro at all, just a man who´s been listening to this kind of music for the last 30 years or so.

I liked your songs, especially Make It Through. With proper production, it could be a solid enjoyable mid tempo rocker. You are right, your influences are quite obvious in some parts of both songs but that is not a bad thing at all.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Tom Bon Jovi #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
I'm sorry man but you can't expect to get a proper review if you use MIDI instrument. Sure, drums are ok to use as MIDI but everything else sounds awful with MIDI. Sure, it works when you work songs out, but not when you are supposed to show up your work for the world. And I would consider a new mic. The gain is awful.

Record them in a proper studio, it doesn't has to be a big pro studio, and I'll give it a proper review !
I dont have any proper recording equipment, but your right it was recorded from my iphone, so i know what you mean. Its not really a good mix, but like i said, they are really just demos at the moment, thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Thank you for sharing your songs. I am not a pro at all, just a man who´s been listening to this kind of music for the last 30 years or so.

I liked your songs, especially Make It Through. With proper production, it could be a solid enjoyable mid tempo rocker. You are right, your influences are quite obvious in some parts of both songs but that is not a bad thing at all.
Thanks a lot mate, much appreciated.