View Single Post

Old 08-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post

I started to become disillusioned with the band and the album when What About Now was released, so didn't see any shows on that tour or anything that has followed. I just haven't had the heart to see Jon in his current vocal state. I'm sure I would enjoy parts of it, but I want to remember the band as one of the greatest live bands on the planet, not a shadow of their former glories...but that's just me.
You maybe wouldn't even enjoy parts. I was on a similar path to you and stopped attending live shows in the late 00s when I left the UK. That changed whenever the last time they played Buenos Aires was (I think 2016?) when I took my wife because she has never seen them. It was manageable at best for me. Jon was mostly fine, his shakey voice was not as noticeable in the stadium, but there was simply no energy. In fact, I think it was Jon bringing the energy but it felt like him and a backing band.

Although, people going on about Jon's vocals or other marks of quality in a show as if that is a defining factor. I know people who had their first gig at less than respected shows who name them as their favourites even after multiple more shows. You cannot account for experience and meaning, which will always win over any other criteria. For example, if you were at Wembley 2000, which were just ok shows, it is hard to beat the experience of the band opening with Prayer (I think it was actually the second song).

I know people who were teenagers becoming fans in 1997, didn't get a show for the following three years and then had It's My Live, Crush, and then Wembley all happen within four months. That was huge and considering some of those kids didn't even know if Bon Jovi would ever return, that was the summer of Bon Jovi. Hindsight has changed a lot about that period but 2000 was a cool year to be a fan.

Also, question wasn't best Bon Jovi show so it is interesting that some people's favourites are shows they have seen on YouTube over ones they attended.

Last edited by semigoodlooking; 08-19-2021 at 02:34 PM..