View Single Post

Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 AM
These Days

I remember the first time I heard Destination Anywhere. It was the day after school let out for the summer, just a few years ago, and I had YT up while I was cleaning and organizing in the classroom before leaving for summer break. I don't remember which song it was that came up on the playlist; maybe "Learning How to Fall". But I clearly recall thinking "Where the hell did that come from??"

It was the first that I knew of the DA album. I think I had heard about the movie; but maybe I thought that was all it was, idk. I don't think it had registered with me, at that time, that Jon had done a solo album besides Blaze.

I spent the rest of that day and most of that week listening to the album - and asking myself, "How did I not know about this?" So I credit DA with motivating me to look for other gems I might have missed along the way. It was a good summer for me and Bon Jovi.

As far as the album itself goes, I'm not crazy about Ugly; and I have no use at all for I Talk To Jesus. I know opinions here vary about whether or not Jon had anyone specific in mind when he wrote it; but it sounds to me like he's venting some frustrations, yet doing it in a way that could be blown off if someone wanted to call him on it. It just has this passive-aggressive feel to it that doesn't sit well with me. Perhaps he didn't intend for it to come across that way, or maybe it was an inside joke. But either way, it's just a little too specific, IMO; and that kinda ruins it for me.

I like all of the other songs, though; especially DA, Staring at Your Window, Every Word, and Janie. (Although I agree with Becky about that title. Every time I see it, I keep expecting to hear Kenny Rogers singing, "Oh, Rooh-ooh-bee...")