View Single Post

Old 02-02-2021, 04:19 PM
Keep the Faith

Have A Nice Day was the first "real" album cycle I witnessed as a die-hard.
I became a fan during Bounce. So This Left Feels Right was the first new album afterwards, that was nice. The Box Set a year later was awesome.
But with Have A Nice Day it was a different kind of release with a different kind of excitement. The first time I really witnessed the Bon Jovi machine warming up for promotion, album release, tour.
The day of the album release was the first day in school after summer holidays in Germany. So right after school I went to our record store to get the album. I know I liked the album and of course it went on heavy rotation in my cd player - but only a few songs had an instant impact. The title track was a great lead single with great energy. Last Man Standing was awesome because of its heavy guitar. The rest was ok but didn't catch me right from the beginning.
After the leaked snippets I expected more from Bells Of Freedom - actually I was really disappointed how that one turned out.
The chorus of Last Cigarette first sounded like a nursery rhyme to me. And Who Says was catchy but got annoying real fast.
And I remember that I wasn't too excited about Novocaine in the first place. After all those years it's my favourite from that album.

Every once in a while I still listen to the album. I think it works well as a whole album. But it lacks songs which stand out, which make it something special.

Ironically - or in regards to Bon Jovi it's better said: traditionally - the outtakes could have been those kind of songs. I really really like Nothing. I think that one could have been a major radio hit back then. These Open Arms is a nice ballad and Unbreakable and Dirty Little Secret would have been some great rockers to replace Wildflower, which does absolutely nothing for me and I Wanna Be Loved, to which I didn't connect either.