View Single Post

Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Keep the Faith

Some years ago someone shared old fanclub magazines I just checked.
Until winter 1991 (volume 3, issue 1) it was Backstage with Bon Jovi.
Volume 3 issue 2 still has the same name but it doesn't have a season or a year printed on it like the other one. Since there's a picture on the last page of Jon and his mother which says "summer is here so enjoy yourselves..." and there's a note of Jon and Dorothea thanking for the letters to their second anniversary I'd say it's summer 1991.
The issue starts with a foreword by Mrs. B:

"Over the past 3 years I have given my all to this fan club and I truly love doing it. When I started this endeavor back in October 1987, I began with nothing. Through hard work and with the help of my family and friends, the club is now a huge success. I do this out of love.
In the last few issues, I have been promising you a feature issue and interviews with the band. You requested and deserved answers to your mandy questions. This newsletter, like others, is late because I was either unable to obtain an interview or had to go to great lengths to secure responses. I waited as long as I could to have this issue published. So, my friends, there comes a time when I must consider restructuring this fan club.

Please do not take this to mean that Bon Jovi is breaking up. That isn't the case.

The reason for this is that it's easy for me to have access to Jon; and, therefore, I can continue to provide you with his interviews and information regarding himself and the band. However, due to the schedules of the other band members - with their family lives, careers, and other obligations - it is very difficult to obtain personal interviews with them. I don't want to promise you anything I can't deliver."

Voume 3 issue 3 is called Backstage with Jon Bon Jovi and it has a note about Richie's soloalbum being out on the market by the time the issue is released. Since Stranger was released in September 1991 I'd say it's late 1991 / early 1992.

Mrs. B's foreword in here:

"In our last issue, I addressed the new direction the fan club would be taking. Since we are now into our third year, I feel that it's very important di assess where we are. Before we made the announcement of the new name, I consulted with Jon and spoke to members of the band and their moms. I am at peace with my decision.

I appreciate your letters expressing 100% support, those letters having questions, and even those which were very blunt in their opinion. Each and every letter was read. I feel that an importan aspect of any productive organization or family is the ability to listen to each other. Change is difficult for some people, but I don't want you to read more into this. To put your mind at ease, I want to reiterate that this is still the official fan club of Bon Jovi.

You will see in this issue that we are keeping you informed on all our band members. However, I can only give you what I am given. I have spoken to each of the moms and asked if they or their sons wanted anything to go into this newsletter. All the mother's lifestyles have changed, and I accept their decision not to participate at the office. But we do stay in communication with each other and I have impressed upon them the fact that they will be responsible for keeping the fans informed of their sons' activities. I'm depending on them to supply the club with information."

She talks about starting the fan club in 1987 but also says in the last issue that they are in their third year.
I remember the fan club being founded as "Secret Society" during the Slippery days and changing the name later (somewhere during NJ) into Backstage.

Well, now let the analysis of her letters begin!
To me there're 2 things very clear:
1) Jon is his mother's son in all aspects
2) It was the beginning of the end

Last edited by Faceman; 10-09-2018 at 08:27 PM..