View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Absolutely yes.

He belongs in the band. He built this band, to an extent only rivaled by JBJ himself - he co-wrote a ton of songs, co-produced almost all the records, his fills and guitar playing were a big part of the songs' character, and he was the second most important showman live.

Richie may not like it, but he'll be remembered for BJ, not his solo work. He should cherish that legacy, not try to act like that stuff is beneath him. Him and Jon used to bring out the best in each other - even their best solo material is nowhere near as cohesive as the band's best stuff.

He has earned his place on that stage based on history alone.
This captures my feelings perfectly, except for two relatively minor details. First, I would add Richie's harmonies and backing vocals because I think they were as critical as his guitar, if not more so. And second, I think Richie does cherish the band's legacy.

To my knowledge, Richie has never said anything to suggest that he wants to be remembered for his solo work, rather than the work he's done in Bon Jovi. It seems to me that he simply wants to be recognized as a musician in his own right as well, apart from the band. To be seen as something other than just Jon's wingman, if you will. I can't fault him for that.

I know a lot of people think some of Richie's comments have been disrespectful to the band and its legacy; and they have every right to that interpretion. I just don't see it the same way because he's made too many similar comments in the past - before there was ever any reason to think he might have something against the band.

But to answer the OP's question: last night I was looking for an article that I recalled someone citing in the No Richie On the Current Leg thread. In the middle of a discussion about the video contest Richie had for AOTL, I ran across an exchange that pretty much sums up how I would feel about Richie returning to the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticos_stick View Post
Where are the people who called Richie all the names under the sun for ignoring the contest now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviJovi View Post
WTF does that matter? He's still a selfish, unprofessional prick
Quote:
He's engaging with his fans, nothing selfish or unprofessional about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviJovi View Post
That doesn't erase the last 4 months.
Quote:
And the last four months haven't erased the commitment he showed for thirty years.

I think it's sad that people have allowed "the last four [years]", or more specifically, the events of one night four years ago to somehow erase the commitment Richie showed for thirty years.

Granted, some of the anger towards him goes back even further, to the cancelled shows in 2012. I get that. I was caught up in those cancellations, too. So I understand the disappointment. I just can't understand still holding on to a grudge after all these years.

But maybe that's just me. As I've said before, I can't hold on to a grudge with Superglue. As far as I'm concerned, life's too short for that kind of nonsense; but to each his own.