View Single Post

Old 12-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
I think with JBJ, it really is that drive to prove he's "still got it". Releasing a greatest hits collection will not prove that to him, won't feed his ego and won't bring him that validation. He'll readily use modern production, outside songwriters, commercial sound - but to create something that proves to him that he and his new releases still resonate with the public. He wants that outside affirmation, which is why the failure of, for example, Everyday probably hurt him quite a bit; if he didn't care about that the track would've been on the GH. But he does care.
Some fair points. Jon really does want to prove he’s still relevant. Sadly, in my opinion, some of that is to his detriment. Everyday tried to recreate IML and came across as very plastic and forced. I’ve been listening a lot to These Days recently and the difference in songwriting between that and Crush/Bounce is massive in my view. These Days is so much more honest and real.

Thing with U2 is, here in Ireland they get a lot of stick, particularly Bono, because they moved their tax affairs to Holland to get a lower tax rate. Bono even went as far as to say “we’re a business so you can’t really complain when a business behaves like a business.”

If Jon said that he’d be absolutely hammered. For all the love they get, and most of it is deserved, U2 are every bit as commercially motivated as Bon Jovi if not more so.