View Single Post

Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
Actually no, except for Imagine Dragons, from which I've heard. But then again I'm not your age or that of your friends, sincerely detest terms like "millenials", and so on

Fact is: starting with the mid-late 90s, it was never cool to be a BON JOVI fan. You were always laughed at, while everyone found it ok or even cool to be a fan of bands like U2, the Stones. BJ just isn't hip or critically acclaimed - rightful or not. Believe me, I've lived with that for 25 years now, so your story doesn't suprise me the least

Even in the TD era, at least as far as I recall it, they had some airplay for (that dreadful) TAALS, but after that, that was it. I got a fan with the KTF record, and they were huge on MTV, radio, etc. Then Always came out, and it got even bigger. And then came TD, which I do like, but wasn't as "cool"/rocky as the previous stuff they did. And after that, it was only IML that brought them back on the radar for a short period of time, and that's probably it. Sad, but true...
Not sure that’s an accurate history lesson.

From what I recall, it was never cool to be a Bon Jovi fan. Not even in the 80s.

By the time KTF came around, they got decimated commercially in America. The single only got to 29 or something and the album got to 5 in the US. I recall someone posting on here that the first leg of the US tour was a bust. However, songs like BOR did okay and kept them on the map in the US as grunge wiped out all their peers. Always did likewise but These Days didn’t make much of an impression on the charts (charting at 9 if I’m not wrong). TAALS also did okay. By that stage, Bon Jovi were maintaining a fan base at home but it wasn’t huge and they were dreadfully uncool.

However, internationally, during that time they were arguably bigger in the 90s than the 80s. Faith topped the charts in a lot of countries, Always went stratospheric and TD was massively popular and got them some critical respect (one of Q Magazines top albums of 95). Everything they released in the UK was a hit and they sold out Wembley 3 nights running in 95. Them, U2 and REM were the three truly massive bands of that era.

IML hit, grunge was gone and BJ discovered a new audience at home. However their fan base has steadily declined over here since 2000 because of the musical direction they went in.

At least that’s my memory of 1992 to now.