View Single Post

Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi View Post
Not sure that’s an accurate history lesson.

From what I recall, it was never cool to be a Bon Jovi fan. Not even in the 80s.

By the time KTF came around, they got decimated commercially in America. The single only got to 29 or something and the album got to 5 in the US. I recall someone posting on here that the first leg of the US tour was a bust. However, songs like BOR did okay and kept them on the map in the US as grunge wiped out all their peers. Always did likewise but These Days didn’t make much of an impression on the charts (charting at 9 if I’m not wrong). TAALS also did okay. By that stage, Bon Jovi were maintaining a fan base at home but it wasn’t huge and they were dreadfully uncool.

However, internationally, during that time they were arguably bigger in the 90s than the 80s. Faith topped the charts in a lot of countries, Always went stratospheric and TD was massively popular and got them some critical respect (one of Q Magazines top albums of 95). Everything they released in the UK was a hit and they sold out Wembley 3 nights running in 95. Them, U2 and REM were the three truly massive bands of that era.

IML hit, grunge was gone and BJ discovered a new audience at home. However their fan base has steadily declined over here since 2000 because of the musical direction they went in.

At least that’s my memory of 1992 to now.
Yeah ok, sorry, I should've said I was talking about Europe. I have/had no idea how they did in the US, or in the 80s, since I wasn't a fan back then.

But yeah, they were huge over here from 93-95/96, everything went no 1, multi-platinum, and so on... All those (no 1) singles from KTF - KTF, BOR, ITA, DC, hell even ISWID was a single with a video constantly running on MTV. And thus, you weren't smiled upon as much as you are nowadays. Good times