View Single Post

Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
I think with JBJ, it really is that drive to prove he's "still got it". Releasing a greatest hits collection will not prove that to him, won't feed his ego and won't bring him that validation. He'll readily use modern production, outside songwriters, commercial sound - but to create something that proves to him that he and his new releases still resonate with the public. He wants that outside affirmation, which is why the failure of, for example, Everyday probably hurt him quite a bit; if he didn't care about that the track would've been on the GH. But he does care.
If he cared that much, he'd do a bit more promotion for the new stuff. Everyday didn't do too badly, was midweek #1 here until it tailed off, and they still had a lot of mainstream attention for the Bounce album. Had a striking video too which helped with MTV.

Speaking in terms of the UK at least, it's just been so lazy the last few albums, they just let it get a couple of plays on Absolute and Radio 2 and that's it. They don't have MTV airplay or for the most part radio airplay, so if he wants the wider audience to get the new stuff, he needs to get out there and shout about it.

They did the Palladium gig over here, but it didn't really generate much outside of the fanbase - why not film it and release some footage to show on TV? They recorded the audio for the CD, but why not play the whole thing on the radio instead? It's not as easy to get music on "terrestrial" tv these days but there's a few chat shows they can do - and I mean they, not the JBJ show, bring the band on, chat and perform.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*