Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Interviewing Doc McGhee

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 08-28-2022, 01:35 AM
semigoodlooking semigoodlooking is offline
Senior Member
Hardest Part is the Night
 
Join Date: 04 Sep 2017
Gender: male
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Jon's always had a tick with compilation type albums like Grestest Hits and Live Albums even though every band in history has them. That's why we got TLFR and Lost Highway.

I'm not sure if it's an artistry thing or he just sees it as a quick cash grab for the Record Company but he's always been a stickler for those type of releases.

Blaze is my favorite album so I'll take that any day over a live compilation from the NJ Tour.



Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk
It always amazes me that a band with a solid live track record (4,000 shows to 35 million people, or whatever it is) has such a poor output of live albums and DVDs.

Greatest Hits are another thing. There have been two, and the TLFR (good in concept, not in execution). That is ok as both Cross Road and Greatest Hits do cover the band's career for the most part. Some bands have no greatest hits. I don't think Metallica or Iron Maiden have one, for example.
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 08-28-2022, 04:30 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 13,140
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

The current market on Greatest Hits are not good right now given entire catalouges are available by the song. Plus who's buying a new greatest hits album from a band with two greatest hits and no new hits since the last one?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-28-2022, 03:50 PM
rolo_tomachi rolo_tomachi is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 19 Aug 2009
Gender: male
Posts: 5,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
The current market on Greatest Hits are not good right now given entire catalouges are available by the song. Plus who's buying a new greatest hits album from a band with two greatest hits and no new hits since the last one?
In the hypothetical case that they released another greatest hits... what would they name it? the last ultimate hits? They haven't even released a hit song in the last decade. I hope there are no more Greatest Hits.

But if this documentary project is something that is being taken separately from the Box Set, then they could release a double album mixing the top hits with some different takes, and some live material that can be seen in the documentary series. Something like Twenty by Pearl Jam, you know, movie and soundtrack.
__________________

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 08-29-2022 at 02:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Logan72 Logan72 is offline
Junior Member
Undiscovered Posts
 
Join Date: 22 Jul 2022
Gender: male
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
It always amazes me that a band with a solid live track record (4,000 shows to 35 million people, or whatever it is) has such a poor output of live albums and DVDs.
It's exactly what I've always thought. And just one sole blu-ray is it?! I mean, how do you even buy Inside Out?? (cd and dvd!!)

Last edited by Logan72; 08-28-2022 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Logan72 Logan72 is offline
Junior Member
Undiscovered Posts
 
Join Date: 22 Jul 2022
Gender: male
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
In the hypothetical case that they released another greatest hits... what would they name it? the real ultimate hits? They haven't even released a hit song in the last decade. I hope there are no more Greatest Hits.

But if this documentary project is something that is being taken separately from the Box Set, then they could release a double album mixing the top hits with some different takes, and some live material that can be seen in the documentary series. Something like Twenty by Pearl Jam, you know, movie and soundtrack.
I agree - there's no place for a greatest hits now I don't think. Crossroad and the Greatest Hits both did it well.

A documentary, boxset and what you suggest could all regenerate some excitement.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-31-2022, 09:26 PM
rickysambo's Avatar
rickysambo rickysambo is offline
Senior Member
Livin' on a Post
 
Join Date: 20 Aug 2009
Location: Dry County
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
I don't think Metallica or Iron Maiden have one, for example.
Iron Maiden does
__________________
EVERYBODY LIES
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-01-2022, 03:52 AM
Alphavictim Alphavictim is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Freak
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 3,306
Default

Iron Maiden have several, and some of them of questionable quality.

AC/DC I think only have "soundtrack compilation" albums which basically serve as greatest hits records but still aren't 100% the same.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-04-2022, 12:19 AM
Roll Roll is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Fan
 
Join Date: 08 Jan 2013
Location: Paris
Gender: male
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan72 View Post
It's exactly what I've always thought. And just one sole blu-ray is it?! I mean, how do you even buy Inside Out?? (cd and dvd!!)
One blu-ray only (MGS 200 but there are DVD for Wembley 95 and Zurich 2000. There may have been a DVD for the japanese show back in 2008 but I'm not quite sure about that.

But anyway you guys are right, that's weird there's such a poor output of live material for a band who've toured so much.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-04-2022, 01:26 AM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is online now
Senior Member
Jovi Geek
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 6,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
One blu-ray only (MGS 200 but there are DVD for Wembley 95 and Zurich 2000. There may have been a DVD for the japanese show back in 2008 but I'm not quite sure about that.

But anyway you guys are right, that's weird there's such a poor output of live material for a band who've toured so much.
That Tokyo 2008 show was just a TV broadcast that several semi-official used to sell on DVD (like Atlantic City 2004). Not an official release.
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-04-2022, 02:39 AM
Kathleen's Avatar
Kathleen Kathleen is offline
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead
 
Join Date: 05 Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Age: 74
Gender: female
Posts: 17,209
Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
That Tokyo 2008 show was just a TV broadcast that several semi-official used to sell on DVD (like Atlantic City 2004). Not an official release.
I found the version that I have on the newsgroups in Feb. 2008. My version is gorgeous.
__________________

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.