Thread: Itīs my life
View Single Post

Old 03-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Dry County

Default Itīs my life

Itīs crazy to think that it has been 18 years since this song was released, and it is pretty well known that it carried the band throught their comeback in 2000.

What do you guys think of it today ? How was your reaction the first time you listened to it ? I personally think that itīs a fantastic tune. I remember when I heard it on the radio in 2000 and instantly fell in love with it. The video was also super cool (it was on MTV all day long). Iīve seen a lot of members here say itīs overplayed live, but to me it stands up there with Prayer and Wanted when it comes to songs that have to be played every night.

IMO, there are two issues related to it:

1. Jon and the band were never able to do it justice live. I love the way Jon sings the chorus after the key change on the studio version, yet he was never able to do it live. Also, during the talkbox solo, there is a great base guitar that was never played live, hence this part feeling very empty on a live setting.

2. The clones: I really like the lyrics, but after they started producing clone after clone of the song and Jon decided that the LIVE MY LIFE line would be his motto for the next ten years, it really got stale.

I also love the acoustic version with the The All American Rejects from 2007.