Thread: John Shanks
View Single Post

Old 09-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I think 85 percent you're bang on but the biggest issue is we don't know the process. Articles confirm songs were extensively demoed for WAN and that wasn't a good album. We DO know how HAND was recorded (drum tracks later replaced by real ones and everything recorded out of sequence). Superman Tonight was done a similar way but We Weren't Born To Follow was recorded live on the floor with the whole band. I'm not sure his process is completely to blame if there's multiple pieces of evidence that the way we think it was done isn't the norm.

The biggest difference is the whole band not being present start to finish but for all we know they want it that way to spend more time with their families, they're much older now then the last time they did a full album together which was what, 2003? We paint Jon and John with a harsh brush when really the David and Tico might not want to be part of that process this far into the game.
The question though is - how much do demos make a difference when they're actually done without Tico and Dave? As I said, the songs won't develop that way.

I agree with you that the other members welcome not having to be in the studio that much and spending more time with their families. But I guess they like it because the band has been churning out albums like crazy over the course of 13 years. No other band of their size and popularity has released remotely as much as Bon Jovi did. And we can't say that the quality has benefited from so many releases.
Had they taken a less-hectic schedule, I'm sure the band members wouldn't have minded spending more time in the studio. But when you're on the road every second year, I kind of get why you don't want to be in the studio all the time inbetween.