Thread: John Shanks
View Single Post

Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by † ÀžžÀ † View Post
What are people’s views on Shanks? Is he truly responsible for the current sound? How much blame can be laid at his door for Richie’s departure?

Does his continued presence impinge on your love of the band and moreover threaten their legacy? How do you feel seeing him up on stage?

I was not exactly a fan and today listened to his podcast with Everyone Guitar. Suffice to say I now like him even less. For me he comes across as arrogant and full of his own importance. I also remember him retweeting that photoshopped image of Sambora gazing at the band during their THINFS shoot. So disrespectful.

As far as I’m concerned Shanks’ friendship with Jon has brought about the end of the Bon Jovi we knew and love. To his detriment Jon can’t look beyond him as far producers go and it’s resulting in serious dissatisfaction amongst the fan base.

It was pretty insulting to see Shanks up there at the RHOF performance. It’s also pretty insulting to know he handles most of the studio solos when’s Phil X is now an official member. How is that allowed to happen?

Anyone else wish Jon was brave enough to move in another direction?
My opinion about Shanks, is a big commercial producer, but he has already repeated too many times with Bon Jovi, and it starts to be a problem, there is no freshness, the guy tries but his tricks are the same, and yes, he is responsible for the current sound of the band, with Jon, but let's not forget who is the producer of each recording. Richie has also had a creative descent in this band, I guess because of all the problems he had to deal with, and being in a band in constant movement it should not have been easy to stay on the boat for so many years.

I do not like John Shanks, but now I see it as a necessary evil to continue. The friendship with Jon has arisen as a result of the distance of Richie, and we do not forget that John Shanks has obtained several hits, from Lost Highway, all their albums are numbers 1.

I would love to see Jon make a solo album, it's the only way to hear a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakatar View Post
I wonder why Jon decided to dump Luke Ebbin (and Bob Rock / Peter Collins before him) in the first place?
Jon did not work with Bob Rock because Bob had the agenda occupied at that time, I remember he was producing Skid Row - Subhuman Race, a great album badly produced by the way. Then Bob Rock, was working with Metallica for years (Load-Reload- Garage Inc - S&M -St Anger).

In past interviews, Jon wanted Bob Rock to produce his sixth album, but it was not possible.

Metllica worked for 14 years with Bob Rock, and finally there was a stagnation in the sound, now we have the same problem with John Shanks.

The great thing about having a different producer on each record is that it gave you a new flavor, and... it's a pity that this will not happen.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-10-2018 at 10:38 PM..