View Single Post

Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
I mean, just look at the Arab buying Man City. Pumped lots of money in the team and it's suddenly one of the better/best teams in the U.K. A better team will lead to more sponsors, will lead to more money will mean his business will do better. I very much doubt Jon's making any financial decisions himself but he'll love to brag about owning a team and go around saying he's the quarterback of the whole thing.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
But City is still a LONG LONG LONG way from being a sustainable business, and those investments that Sheikh Mansour has made will take years to break-even [if ever]. Incidentally, the CEO of City - Ferran Soriano, was a founder of the small consulting company I used to work for, hence we used to have quite a bit of work from them. The reason they are expanding into the US and Australia is to gain some efficiency but even so, not wanting (or being allowed to) go into much details, I can't personally see how City will ever become a profitable business.

Again - I am not saying a football club can't be a profitable business (Bayern Munich anyone ) and surely American football is again completely different given the completely steady flow of cash (no relegation) and only minimal exposure to risk. Just that City may have been a bad example.

Having said that, you are completely right with the second part of the post. The bragging rights of being the owner of a football team - are you kiddin' me?!? Surely those are worth a couple of (hundred?) millions!