Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Jon at Billy Joel Concert

General BJ Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Tom_K's Avatar
Tom_K Tom_K is offline
Senior Member
Livin' on a Post
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2002
Gender: male
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
How I wish we had a full version of this one...
Me too. I actually contacted the people behind Musicares over e-mail around the time I sent you this clip and asked, if there is any chance to release the video of the whole performance but they said they don't have the rights/approval.
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:51 AM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,677
Default

Jon's poor vocals have become the focus of some music fan channel as well:
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Alphavictim Alphavictim is offline
Senior Member
Something for the Posts
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 33
Gender: male
Posts: 2,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Jon's poor vocals have become the focus of some music fan channel as well:
What Happened To Jon Bon Jovi? - YouTube
The middle aged housewives obsessing over JBJ's looks are out the door, in are the YouTube music experts constantly mentioning that he still looks good
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:23 PM
symbeline's Avatar
symbeline symbeline is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 22 Oct 2015
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Gender: female
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
The middle aged housewives obsessing over JBJ's looks are out the door, in are the YouTube music experts constantly mentioning that he still looks good
But that guy isn't wrong, is he? He's just doing what most BJ fans do, including some people here: finding the silver lining.

I cringed when I saw this video, both vocally and a performance-wise, it's come to a point where I feel uncomfortable listening and watching Jon on stage, but to the average fan the fact that he is almost 60, looks great and has a good stage presence compared to lots of his peers is more than enough to make up for his poor vocals.

That's the problem, I acknowledge that Jon still has it when it comes to the hot factor and his charming boyish looks have bailed him out more than once. It is part of his shtick and I have no problem with that other than it doesn't work for me anymore because I expect much more from him. It's not even about value for money, other performers charge more and deliver worse shows, Bon Jovi is far from a waste of money by the average concert-goer standards It's just a matter of principles to me, a singer that was on top of his game 10 years ago shouldn't strive to survive on good looks, smiles and ass shakes. He should die each night on stage, poor vocals be damned.

To me 2-3 semi-decent performances (being extremely generous) in 7 years and a ton shit of shows is simply unacceptable. To most people is the normal decline and not even that noticeable when you take into account that Jon looks good and he smiles a lot and still has the crowd going wild with every (inmyopinionpainfullyawkward) interaction. And I understand it, lots of people love this kind of performance and it's not that different from what he used to do, so they give him a pass because "it's not that bad when you are there in person having fun" (*cough*this board*cough*) and here we are, about to embark into another 'sold-out' tour and then another and then another and I highly doubt one day everybody will realize the emperor is naked. Why would they? He still looks good...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
__________________

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-05-2020, 11:16 AM
BJFan99 BJFan99 is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 11 Apr 2016
Location: Finland
Gender: male
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
But that guy isn't wrong, is he? He's just doing what most BJ fans do, including some people here: finding the silver lining.

I cringed when I saw this video, both vocally and a performance-wise, it's come to a point where I feel uncomfortable listening and watching Jon on stage, but to the average fan the fact that he is almost 60, looks great and has a good stage presence compared to lots of his peers is more than enough to make up for his poor vocals.

That's the problem, I acknowledge that Jon still has it when it comes to the hot factor and his charming boyish looks have bailed him out more than once. It is part of his shtick and I have no problem with that other than it doesn't work for me anymore because I expect much more from him. It's not even about value for money, other performers charge more and deliver worse shows, Bon Jovi is far from a waste of money by the average concert-goer standards It's just a matter of principles to me, a singer that was on top of his game 10 years ago shouldn't strive to survive on good looks, smiles and ass shakes. He should die each night on stage, poor vocals be damned.

To me 2-3 semi-decent performances (being extremely generous) in 7 years and a ton shit of shows is simply unacceptable. To most people is the normal decline and not even that noticeable when you take into account that Jon looks good and he smiles a lot and still has the crowd going wild with every (inmyopinionpainfullyawkward) interaction. And I understand it, lots of people love this kind of performance and it's not that different from what he used to do, so they give him a pass because "it's not that bad when you are there in person having fun" (*cough*this board*cough*) and here we are, about to embark into another 'sold-out' tour and then another and then another and I highly doubt one day everybody will realize the emperor is naked. Why would they? He still looks good...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
The countless comments about Jon's poor vocals even on the band's own social media pages must have gone unnoticed by you...

Trust me, it's not a secret anymore. There will always be a certain amount of those overly defensive fans who continue to think Jon pees honey and craps cup cakes, but there definitely are also thousands and thousands of fans who are no longer either blind or deaf to the harsh reality. For example, Zürich, Vienna and Bucharest were absolutely slaughtered on the official BJ Facebook site last summer, and basically every new post gets negative comments regarding Jon's voice to this day, so the emperor is basically being ripped off the rest of his clothes on his own land in addition to all the other pages. So, I guess there's really no need for you to worry about the overall sanity of the fanbase
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Elvistico Elvistico is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Addict
 
Join Date: 30 Aug 2003
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Gender: male
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
The middle aged housewives obsessing over JBJ's looks are out the door, in are the YouTube music experts constantly mentioning that he still looks good
I guess the comments on his looks come up because it is in big contrast with his vocal chords. If he'd look like the fat Elvis where all physical elements show a person who's completely out of shape, it is probably easier to grasp the idea that one can't sing anymore.

You'd think that a guy who's so well in shape as Jon Bon Jovi would also have his vocal chords in shape, but unfortunately he does not. It's really like the top-sportsmen and women who have had too many injuries over the years. At a certain point they won't be able to compete anymore, even if they are still people with an overall physique that is much better than you and I. With Jon, this is the case as a singer. No amount of fitness, workouts, pills nor vocal training will help this anymore. Surgery? Not sure. It's my guess that Jon has tried everything possible yet. If surgery ( maybe he had it) was an option, he could easily go under the radar for 6 to 8 months to get surgery and fully recover.

Probably, Jon's doctors will have advised him to maximum tour 3 months a year and to pace it into shows of max. 2h, limiting the amount of songs that are too hard on the vocal part and playing max. 2 shows per week ( which is exactly how the tours are paced since THINFS)

I suppose this is not far from the truth since I am a non trained unprofessional singer who plays solo acoustic shows in bars and I am suffering from vocal problems myself since a few months. My vocal coach and doctor are now advising me to respect following rules ( at this time)

- Max 1 show per week
- respecting breaks
- no more than 2 hours
etc etc ( this alongside other things)

If that's the case, that is why we get the shows we are witnessing now.
Shorter than before with a lot of newer songs that are easier to sing. In the older songs, he sings them in a way that does avoid a maximum of tension on his vocal chords and he saves just a few moment here and there for a few high notes or power bursts.

For what I'm doing musically, there's also many restrictions in my setlist. Fortunately, people who see me play do not have any expectations about my setlist, so as long as if what I do is well done, I get compliments about it. It's far of from JBJ where people go and expect him to play all the big hits.



In my opionion, Jon should adress the matter and being open about it. If he'd share his situation with the fans everyone would understand and perhaps have more respect for the bad vocal performances. With that known, anyone can still decide if they'd be cool about it and buy tickets for shows that you'll know will be heavily based on recent song that are easy to sing, shorter setlists and plain bad singing in general. It is just about being honest about it and setting and accepting new standards, both for Jon and the fans.

Up till know, Jon has been acting like nothing's going on and selling the ' we are better than ever + we are not a nostalgia act who's relying on their greatest hits ' story. That's BS if I can say so.

Compare it to Def Leppard's drummer - that guy has one arm and adapted his playing around this. He can't do what other drummers do but he doesn't pretend to either and so everyone loves what he's doing.

Or I am thinking about Prince, back in the 90'ies when he was in a big fight with Warner ( his label): he refused to play his hits any longer and so all fans new that he'd only play recent stuff. With that in mind, those shows were often excellent.

It is all a matter of being clear about what people can expect and for fans to go to shows with the right expectations.

End of my rant
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Posting everyday
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 7,379
Default

I think there are two stages of Jon's voice now a days...

1. Unlistenable 2. Tolerable

I've heard him sing songs that physically can not be listened to... And then there are songs like these Billy Joel songs that are somewhat tolerable... I still wouldn't classify them as enjoyable. If I had a soundboard of them, I'd skip them in every mix.

The bar has been shifted so much that people are now taking these tolerable songs and stating that Jon still has some range left..

Bottom line, Jon's voice is gone and is never coming back. I honestly think we blew a chord. He can't even keep up and sings behind every song.





Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:38 AM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
In my opionion, Jon should adress the matter and being open about it. If he'd share his situation with the fans everyone would understand and perhaps have more respect for the bad vocal performances. With that known, anyone can still decide if they'd be cool about it and buy tickets for shows that you'll know will be heavily based on recent song that are easy to sing, shorter setlists and plain bad singing in general. It is just about being honest about it and setting and accepting new standards, both for Jon and the fans.

Up till know, Jon has been acting like nothing's going on and selling the ' we are better than ever + we are not a nostalgia act who's relying on their greatest hits ' story. That's BS if I can say so.

Compare it to Def Leppard's drummer - that guy has one arm and adapted his playing around this. He can't do what other drummers do but he doesn't pretend to either and so everyone loves what he's doing.

Or I am thinking about Prince, back in the 90'ies when he was in a big fight with Warner ( his label): he refused to play his hits any longer and so all fans new that he'd only play recent stuff. With that in mind, those shows were often excellent.

It is all a matter of being clear about what people can expect and for fans to go to shows with the right expectations.

End of my rant
Even if it'd be an honest move - and people like Paul Stanley or Klaus Meine (and probably more) had done so openly in the past, I can see why PR people advised him not to do that. I mean in the eyes of his defend-everything fans that'd make him an even more humble and great human being. But for them, even him losing his bowels up there would do that.

If he'd openly announce tours with only recent stuff, it'd tank really bad. Keep in mind that 80% of the crowd are still made up by casuals and out of them, the latest they may know could be Make A Memory or Born To Follow and that's been over a decade ago. Bon Jovi has drawn audiences in because of their big, pompous, soaring ballads and due to their fist-pumping, anthemic rock songs with big choruses. Since about HAND, we pretty much had none of that. For middle-of-the-road pop songs, the average Joe won't buy tickets, especially not at these prices.
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-06-2020, 03:22 PM
rolo_tomachi rolo_tomachi is offline
Senior Member
It's my post
 
Join Date: 19 Aug 2009
Gender: male
Posts: 4,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
I guess the comments on his looks come up because it is in big contrast with his vocal chords. If he'd look like the fat Elvis where all physical elements show a person who's completely out of shape, it is probably easier to grasp the idea that one can't sing anymore.
Fat Elvis sang better than Jon today. His voice never left.

__________________
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XLFD8AK0YYe8YudV<img src=images/smilies/new_alien.gif border=0 alt= title=#alien class=inlineimg />TTabPS7PKGMNKb

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 02-08-2020 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-06-2020, 03:33 PM
liljovi93's Avatar
liljovi93 liljovi93 is offline
Senior Member
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 27 Mar 2007
Location: Liverpool
Age: 27
Gender: male
Posts: 11,797
Send a message via MSN to liljovi93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Fat Elvis sang better than Jon today.



Elvis sings better now & he's dead.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
__________________


Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!


Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.