View Single Post

Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I'm going against the grain here, but I think he did a better than decent job; especially (as I mentioned earlier) with the way he stayed in time and managed to keep up with the words without running out of breath, and apparently without a teleprompter. There's gotta be some reason he can do that with a cover but can't do it with his own songs, most of which don't require spitting out that many words at that clip.

With respect to him being a front man, by the time Big Shot was done I was actually thinking that there aren't many performers who could own the stage like he did in someone else's show and make you believe for a minute that the main act and his guys were Jon's backup band. Part of that may come down to Billy allowing himself to be upstaged; but I thought it was impressive nevertheless.
I get both sides. He was good in terms of timing, but then again, that song (in terms of key and singing) is really not demanding.
In terms of him sounding better on other songs: I guess it has to do with muscle memory. He had so many "wrong" tricks over the years when he sang the catalogue that he falls back into the habit of doing them, but they don't work with what he has left now.
And in terms of teleprompter: There were some on stage. You can see the one on the left in this video and another video of the show shows one center stage at the front. Jon spied on it a bit as well.